News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Cannot open file

Started by Sonvolt, July 03, 2023, 08:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonvolt

Hi Paul,

Odd one recorded an album , all ok , saving tracks I get 1 track cannot open file , track is fine when in split tracks. The one thing different that i did was after recording I edited album details and changed year to 1969 .

No issue with path to my NAS unit  , on 13.1.2 beta 1

Regards
Ken

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Can you post a transcript (rather than a screenshot) of that progress window please?  Just click on 'Copy' (once the save is complete) and then paste it into your message.  I will than take a look.  Thanks.

Sonvolt

As requested

Saving tracks for album: King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) (4 threads)

Saving track: 21st Century Schizoid Man (Including Mirrors) (7:15) - Track already saved - done
Saving track: I Talk To The Wind (6:04) - Track already saved - done
Saving track: Epitaph (Including (A) March For No Reason; (B) Tomorrow And Tomorrow) (8:39) - Track already saved - done
Saving track: Moonchild (Including (A) The Dream; (B) The Illusion) (12:08) - track not saved - Cannot open file: Z:\Vinyl data\Converted\Albums\King Crimson\1969In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson)\King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) - 04 - Moonchild (Including (A) The Dream; (B) The Illusion).flac for writing, error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified)
Saving track: The Court Of The Crimson King (Including (A) The Return Of The Fire Witch; (B) The Dance Of The Puppets) (9:23) - Track already saved - done

folder.jpg not generated because album King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) has no artwork (or the artwork file may be damaged)

0 tracks saved in 0 seconds (4 already saved, 0 partially saved, 1 skipped).

Tracks were saved to folder:

Z:\Vinyl data\Converted\Albums\King Crimson\1969In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson)

View in File Explorer

Sonvolt

Paul , FYI Get the same if I delete the already saved tracks

Saving tracks for album: King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) (4 threads)

Saving track: 21st Century Schizoid Man (Including Mirrors) (7:15) - done
Saving track: I Talk To The Wind (6:04) - done
Saving track: Epitaph (Including (A) March For No Reason; (B) Tomorrow And Tomorrow) (8:39) - done
Saving track: Moonchild (Including (A) The Dream; (B) The Illusion) (12:08) - track not saved - Cannot open file: Z:\Vinyl data\Converted\Albums\King Crimson\1969In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson)\King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) - 04 - Moonchild (Including (A) The Dream; (B) The Illusion).flac for writing, error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified)
Saving track: The Court Of The Crimson King (Including (A) The Return Of The Fire Witch; (B) The Dance Of The Puppets) (9:23) - done

folder.jpg not generated because album King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) has no artwork (or the artwork file may be damaged)

4 tracks saved in 10 seconds (0 already saved, 0 partially saved, 1 skipped).

Tracks were saved to folder:

Z:\Vinyl data\Converted\Albums\King Crimson\1969In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson)

View in File Explorer

Thanks for this.  I can see that the full path of the saved file exceeds Windows' normal limit, so you need to check 'Permit filenames longer than 260 characters' in VinylStudio's Settings dialog to save it successfully.  (I concede that the error message could be clearer).

Please note that not all audio players can read such files, in which case just shorten the track title a bit (by my reckoning, you only need to save one character).

Sonvolt

Allow greater that 260 already ticked.

OK, can you send me your .mcf file please?  Please send it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Let me know if you need help finding it.

Sonvolt

Just sent as zip file

Ken

Yes, got it thanks, am investigating.

Hello again,

Thanks for the MCF file.  I tested it here and it works OK, but then again I'm saving to a local drive and not a NAS.  So I think your problem must be to do with that, although it's odd because 'Moonchild' is not the longest filename being saved.

However.  Something I find suspiciously coincidental is that the length of that filename is 261 characters, whereas the normal Windows limit is 260.  So I wonder if you've hit some kind of edge condition with that particular number.

So could I ask you please to try the following:

1.  Delete one character from the track title (261 -> 260) and see if it will save.

2.  Add one character to the original track title (261 -> 262) and see if it will save.

I shall be most interested in the results.

Also, I'm not sure why you're repeating the album artist and title in the track title part of the filename.  But presumably you have your reasons.

Sonvolt

Hi Paul

Both adding/deleting character allows track to be saved. (i'll remove char before i move to final folder)

Its Just the folder naming system used.

music\@artist\@year@album\@artist@album@trackno@track

Cheers
Ken

Interesting, thanks for following up.  A piece of code in there somewhere (not ours!) evidently has an out-by-one error.