News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Crash immediately upon opening, after upgrading to macOS 12.6

Started by ewanyork, September 14, 2022, 12:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewanyork

HI there,

I finally succumbed to accepting the software update, and allowed my Mac Mini to update itself to version 12.6 overnight. Now, I can't open VinylStudio - it crashes immediately upon launch with this error message:

WCLAssert
Assert failed:
bmir
file /Users/pauls/mount_g/source/VinylStudio/V12_52/hpslib/wcl/mac/wclhbitmap.mm, line 83 [34]

Might be nothing to do with the OS upgrade, but it's the only thing I'm aware of that has changed since yesterday when VinylStudio was working perfectly.

Is there anything I can tweak to get it back up and running, or do I just need to wait for an update?

Thanks!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

It is to do with that update actually - Apple broke something.  We have, however, released a fix.  You can download it here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/download_mac.aspx

If you purchased [the Mac version] from the App Store, please install from there.  That version has now also been updated.

Please let us know if you have any further problems (we're not expecting any):

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/contact_us.aspx

ewanyork

Ah, that's great news (also, very quick work!)

I'll wait for that to appear in the Mac App Store so I don't get my licensing confused.

It's a brilliant product by the way. Bringing me so much joy discovering old music  :)

mjzunk

So glad there is a remedy as use the program nearly every day. I guess maybe I should wait for the App Store update as well since that is where I bought my version. How long does it take to get uploaded to the App Store?

mjzunk

Sorry I am confused. I am using VinylStudio Pro. Are you saying I should wait for the App Store to offer the update since 12.6 broke it?

Hi,

If you have VinylStudio Pro then it should already be there - *unless* you initially bought VinylStudio Standard and then upgraded via VinylStudio's Help menu.  If so, please get back to me and we'll sort something out.

mjzunk

It only showed the option to open (not Update) Vinyl Studio Pro in the App Store. So, instead of clicking Open, I clicked the VinylStudio Pro app name link and Open changed to Update. I updated and opened and now I am all good again. Yay! Thanks!

OK, thanks for the info.  I'm sure this will help others who have to deal with that bit of strangeness.

ewanyork

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on September 15, 2022, 08:01:03 PM
If you have VinylStudio Pro then it should already be there - *unless* you initially bought VinylStudio Standard and then upgraded via VinylStudio's Help menu.  If so, please get back to me and we'll sort something out.

This is the position I'm in, unfortunately. I forgot I had purchased the upgrade as I've had the app for so long! If there's an easy way round it, I'll be happy to try - but you definitely have your hands full already, so if just waiting a bit longer until standard VinylStudio arrives in the app store is the easiest approach, happy to do that.

OK, let's give it another 24 hours.  If Apple don't come through then I'll issue you with a license direct from us.

GrantC

I just upgraded to macOS Monterey 12.6 and can't open VinylStudio-Pro. Do I need a new copy of the application or is the app not compatible with upgrade?

Received this error message: Fatal error (sorry).

When prompted, click 'Reopen' (or Relaunch).  You will then have the opportunity to send us a crash report which will help us pin down the problem and, we hope, fix it.

WCLAssert
Assert failed:
bmir
file /Users/pauls/mount_g/source/VinylStudio/V12_52/hpslib/wcl/mac/wclhbitmap.mm, line 83 [34]

Hi,

Did you not read the prior posts in this thread?  You will find the answer there.

@ewanyork Well, Apple still haven't come through so if you'd like to contact us through the main website we will issue you with a key:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/contact_us.aspx

ajohn

I am one of those who purchased the standard version on the Apple App Store, then upgraded to Pro through the app.  What should I do to get the app working again?

Hi,

We're still waiting for App Store approval from Apple (don't know why it's taking so long, we have asked them to expedite).  Once that goes through you should be OK.

In the meantime, please install from the link above.  You will (I think) lose your Pro features temporarily but that's all.