News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Import track list with UTF8 characters

Started by Jan, May 29, 2022, 10:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

When I import a track list with non-ASCII characters (i.e. accented characters like

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Sorry your post got truncated (our forum software can't cope with 'smart quotes'), but I get the gist.  Can you attach a sample file that you want to import please?  I'll then look into it.  This doesn't sound hard to fix, although there may already be a workaround - where did the file come from (or what software did you use to create it) please?.

Jan

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on May 29, 2022, 11:40:47 AM
Hi,

Sorry your post got truncated (our forum software can't cope with 'smart quotes'), but I get the gist.  Can you attach a sample file that you want to import please?  I'll then look into it.  This doesn't sound hard to fix, although there may already be a workaround - where did the file come from (or what software did you use to create it) please?.

Yeah, it seems the forum software can't handle non-ascii either..  :) The message was truncated at the first example accented character.

I have attached a sample with a single track. It was typed manually in a text editor. Just create a new album and import, no need to record or import audio.

I am on MacOS Monterey, running VinylStudio 12.5.2 Pro from App Store.

Thanks,
Jan

Yeah, sorry.  We didn't write it  :)

So yes, I see the problem and we will fix it in the next Beta.

In the meantime, you need to save your files as 'UTF-8 with BOM' (or possibly 'UTF-8 with signature'); then it will work.  TextEdit doesn't appear to be able to do this but there's a nice, free editor in the App Store called CotEditor which can.   So I would download that, configure its Preferences appropriately and you should then be golden.

Jan

Ahh, I see. I will try with BOM.

Thanks a lot for your responsiveness! I love VinylStudio, and use it a lot!

Best regards,
Jan

OK, great.  You could try it with Beethoven's fifth - BOM BOM BOM, BOM. :)

Jan

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on May 29, 2022, 02:32:22 PM
OK, great.  You could try it with Beethoven's fifth - BOM BOM BOM, BOM. :)

;D

Adding a BOM works around it. Looking forward to next beta. Thanks!

OK, thanks for updating me.  I will let you know when that becomes available (there's a bit of code reorganisation going on at the moment, so it won't be for a while).

Hello again,

This is just to let you know that this has been attended to in the latest VinylStudio Beta (V13.0.0 Beta 1).  You can get that here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0

If you encounter any problems, please let us know.  All feedback welcome.  Sorry it took so long.