News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Can no longer retrieve album artwork

Started by rom661, March 26, 2021, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidh

Discogs error persists, and now can't connect to music brainz at all.  Error message :

Invalid HTTP response: 502 Bad Gateway

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Music Brainz is working for me.  It was probably a transient error.

We will have a fix for the Discogs problem soon.

rom661

I'm not usually a glass half full kind of guy (I typically think mine has a leak) but one positive thing for me with the Discogs issue is that I've learned how to do it manually and import them.  It takes longer and usually I would prefer doing it the way we're accustomed to but sometimes on those albums where it's difficult to tell which one of 47 versions matches your tracks, going out to Discogs can be faster than downloading each track listing to see how it matches what you have.  Whew.  That's all the upbeat I can do for one day....

Steve137

Still unable to get album art through Vinylstudio. J river media center resolved the issue months ago. What's the hold up?

The issue "For anyone interested in this, I found the cause. Discogs has evidently moved its images server to CloudFlare and they (understandably) require the hostname to be set in the TLS handshake extensions.

If you are using OpenSSL in your client, you can achieve that with the following line of code:

SSL_set_tlsext_host_name (ssl, hostname);

where ssl is an SSL * instance created via SSL_new.

Help!!

Sorry for the delay.  We have been rolling up a number of bug fixes and feature requests into the new version.

smauster

Any news on when the new update will be released?

Hi,

Within the next week or two, we hope.

balky

Hi Paul,

This has been the same promise since I purchased this program (+/- 2 months ago) and will really like to know when the fix is going to be available.

I've kept recordings on hold for like two months already waiting for this...

It will be really nice to have a definite time when it will be possible to use discogs for album art.

Thanks!

rom661

I agree that an estimate of timeline is desirable but do keep in mind that you can still get cover art in the interim.  It takes a little longer but another user told me how to do it, which you will see above.  I've done at least 25 recordings since I started this inquiry, all completed with cover art.  Not arguing with your desire, just wanting to make sure you're aware of the work around.  Best.

balky

Thanks for the comment and advise...

The point is I specifically bought this app solely for the purpose of using one source to get all of album meta data.

I do have the album art downloader app, and I use Izotope Rx7 (have been buying licenses since Rx5) for recording, and use foobar2000 for meta data editing.

It feels rather unfair that I would still keep doing things the old way when I paid for a license to break free of how I worked in the past.

But I do understand you anyways.

Thanks.

balky

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on July 04, 2021, 05:07:07 PM
Hi,

Within the next week or two, we hope.

So, wondering and checking if there is any news on this...  :)

In my opinion, a quick patch to fix the discogs issue will be truly welcome, and the new version can take as long as needed before it comes out.

It starts to become somehow annoying that this fix can only be available in the new version.
Discogs lookup and album art download was advertised as working when I bought and paid for this version.

It is just not fair to have to wait until now and still keeping waiting on a promise that looks more and more unlikely to be fulfilled. 

Soon as we can, we are nearly done rolling in other fixes.

Steve137

Five months to fix one issue.  Is that really acceptable?

balky

Quote from: Steve137 on August 12, 2021, 02:52:23 PM
Five months to fix one issue.  Is that really acceptable?

It is all starting to sound like a big white lie to me, in my opinion...
There hasn't been any published info about which bugs are actually getting fixed or any new features to expect.
Maybe the information exists somewhere, but I have not seen it, so I doubt anything of such is really happening...

What value is there in new features anyway, when the most interesting feature is broken and has not been fixed in more than 5 months?

Following this trend, any bug in the so called new features, if there is anything as such is going to possibly take more than a year to fix...

Sorry, but in my opinion, the program looks like an abandonware already, and the site is just there to sell licenses until it goes offline.

You can't blame me for my opinion, I feel duped...  :)