News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Creating and Playing (Playlists ) of FLAC Files via USB and/or HDMI in Car/Home

Started by Dennis_M, January 15, 2023, 05:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis_M

Last year, I had investigated the trial version of Vinyl Studio.

I was somewhat disappointed in that the Volume was unsatisfactorily LOW in my car via Bluetooth.

I am planning on investigating again, but before I invest the time and money in converting ~ 80 Albums to FLAC Files, can experienced users inform me:

1) How can I create PLAYLISTS from the FLAC Files which I intend to generate via Vinyl Studio Software?

2) Rather than use my phone, is there a recommended portable player on which I can create, (or load), the playlists to and play in my car or home audio system via USB?

I'd like to know that there is a "path forward" to do this before I commence creating FLAC Files from my Albums via Vinyl Studio Software.

Any / All recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

~ Dennis M.  1/15/2023

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You can boost the playback level after recording by using the 'Normalise' button in VinylStudio's Graphic Equaliser window.  You can reach this via the 'Adjust filter settings' button in the toolbar beneath the waveform display in the Cleanup Audio window.  Then save your tracks (or save them again) and download them into your phone.

Doing that should make your phone a more suitable player in the car (that's what I do).  I would think your phone can also make playlists, have you investigated that?  We don't have a recommendation for an alternative player, sorry, but maybe someone else here will be able to suggest something.

Dennis_M

Paul, et al:

Thank you for the response.

I have used the "normalize" feature, and although it did increase the volume somewhat, the result was not as high as I had hoped.

I am using Behringer UMC204HD connected between my stereo amplifier and PC, and will record at a slightly higher volume, (hopefully without distortion or causing other issues).

As far as making playlists, my objective is to design and create on my PC so I can either play them on my home stereo via HDMI, or send them to my phone, (or alternate device – TBD), and play them in my car via USB.

That is the Objective.

The "Gaps" are:

1)   Finding a means of recording with sufficiently high volume

2)   Finding SW which I can create playlists on my computer and send to either an android phone or alternate portable device.

3)   Identifying the alternate portable player such that I can play the playlists on home stereo via HDMI and/or in car with either android phone or alternate device via USB.

Thanks again for your input an response.

I will do more "searching" and see if I get other suggestions as well.

Thanks again and be well.

OK, well, thing is, re #1, if you normalise (to 0dB) in VS then that's the loudest you can go.  You can normalise per-track, which might help a bit, but your volume problem is on the playback side.  I myself play tracks ripped in VinylStudio from my phone to the bluetooth-enabled stereo in my car and it's plenty loud.

Does your car stereo have bluetooth?  I think it must have, most phones won't play through the USB port (it's just for charging and syncing).

A different phone might help, if you have something you can try, but I think that's unlikely.  It sounds more like a shortcoming of your car stereo, but do make sure that the playback volume on the phone is turned right up and that you have dismissed Android's rather pointless and annoying 'please make sure you don't damage your ears' popup, otherwise you can't 'turn it up to 11'.

For #2, as I said before, you would create playlists on your phone once all the tracks are downloaded.  How you do this depends on what player app you're using (what is it?).  For Android, I use an app called Pi Music Player and I really like it (and it can create playlists).

For #3, for playing through my HiFi at home, I actually bought a cheap and cheerful bluetooth receiver on eBay.  It cost peanuts, sounds fine, and lets me play music from my phone through the HiFi.  So that's the approach I would recommend.  You're not going to find a phone with HDMI.

And as for a portable player, I use my own phone, but if you want a second device then a cheap Android phone is the way to go.  I got one with a micro SD card slot (Nokia G20), so there is plenty of room for music.

HTH

Dennis_M

Paul,

Thank you for your rapid response and input.

I will verify that my Android Phone Volume is adjusted properly.
That would be great if this is the root cause of the issue.

Also, thanks for the input on Pi Music Player.

Will check it out.

Thanks again,

~ Dennis M, 1/16/2023

Dennis_M

Paul, et al:

Thanks for your recommendation on Android Phone Volume and Pi Music Player.

Increasing the Phone Volume to Max did improve the volume in may car.

I have 1 more question:

The last time I started to run trial version of VS, the App locked up and stopped recording.

I was advised to uncheck WASAPI; I did so, and that seemed to address the issue.

Tonight, I wanted to test setup parameters before resuming this work.

I set up to make sure I had parameters correct to record Johnny Mathis, Christmas Album.

I noticed that I could hear a discernible "echo" with WASAPI unchecked. 

I could NOT hear the echo when I checked it, so I will, (likely), record in this mode.

Does this make sense?

Any other obvious reasons why I would hear an echo with WASAPI unchecked?

(It was not a subtle echo).

I'd like to know that I have the parameters correct before proceeding to record albums, etc.

Thanks again for your help.

~ Dennis M, 1/19/2023

Hi Dennis,

The next Beta will address the problem of locking up when recording with WASAPI enabled (this is a problem we've struggled with for a long time now but I think we have finally found a fix).

I'll post back here when it's ready - it shouldn't be long now.

Dennis_M

Paul,

Thank you for your rapid response.

While awaiting the next beta, I will take a look and see if there is any other "Root Cause" which is driving the noticeable "echo" that I heard through my headphones when monitoring Johnny Mathis with WASPI unclicked.

By clicking it, I noticed that I no longer heard the "echo".

I do not recall hearing the echo when I was testing other albums last year, so I will make experiment a bit more and see if there is a way to get rid of the "echo" without enabling WASPI.

As of right now, for this particular (album/set-up), it seems that the tradeoffs are:

Option A:    WASPI unchecked, but noticeable "echo" heard while monitoring.

Option B:    WASPI checked; "echo" eliminated, but chance of "locking up" during recording.

Any Options / recommendations that I might try while awaiting the beta?

Will do a bit more experimenting, though am hoping to make progress on this project during these winter months and complete before Spring/Summer arrive.

Thanks again for your input and rapid response.

~ Dennis M.

I'd just wait for the Beta.  It should only be a few days.  WASAPI lock ups have been a problem we've had for a while, but we've now found a way to work around Microsoft's bugs (!).

Dennis_M

Paul,

Thank you for your rapid response and recommendation on this.

Glad to hear that you have identified a method to address this.

I have put a larger hard drive in an old T500 that I was planning on dedicating to music files, etc.

I had not set up my music path properly, so I was going to uninstall and reinstall the trial version on this so I can learn the process on (5) albums and then purchasing to record ~ 80 albums thereafter.

If I take this approach, Will I see the Beta identified when I proceed to (uninstall/reinstall) ?

I shall look at the forum periodically to see when the Beta is available and then proceed to install and move forward.

Thanks again for your rapid response.

~ Dennis M. 

Hi Dennis,

Just to let you know that Beta 5 is now available and is much more reliable when recording using WASAPI.  You can get it here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0

It identifies itself as Beta 5 in the About box (Menu -> Help -> About VinylStudio).

Please let me know of any problems.

Dennis_M

Paul,

Thank you and your team for your work in resolving this issue, and thanks for informing me, et al, that this Beta is now available.

I will certainly check it out.

Thanks again,

~ Dennis M.