News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

My collection on Discogs

Started by 1maynard, November 01, 2016, 08:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1maynard

Hi new member and user of Vinyl Studio. First off thanks for the great software. There is a learning curve but that is the way of anything that works so good. My question is, how can I use the information that I have in my collection on Discogs to find track and album art information when I am working with my recordings? I have most all of my collection cataloged on Discogs with the correct cover art, track information, and the correct album information. It would really be a time saver if I could use the information I have researched and collected instead of having to scan through the data base a second time to get the correct info. Thanks in advance for any help. 

dtc

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

I did not know how to directly import your collection from discogs, but Paul may have some way to do that. But there is another pretty simple way.

For each album in your discog collection, there should be a release number, like [rxxxxxxx]. You can copy that (click to highlight and Ctrl C) and then in VS in Lookup Track Listing you can paste the release number preceded by a plus sign  (e.g. +[rxxxxx]) into the Artist/Performer field and that will pull in the data for that album. (Leave album title blank.)

See my post on Discogs Tips in the General Forum for lookup by release number and catalog number.

Tom

dtc

I thought I remembered this, although I have never used it.

Under File you can import a discog file (xml I think) of your discog selections. Not sure how it works, but you can give it a try. It might create a  VS entry for each album.

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=405.msg1452#msg1452

You can also control what VS imports in Options - Discogs Import Options

1maynard

dtc, thanks for the help. I checked out your post on Discog tips and that looks like the easiest way to import the information. I will try it out once I fill my CF card with recordings and move them to my laptop. Today I think I will try to record to a usb hard drive to see if it will work. The manual states that you can record to a usb flash drive so I hope I can record directly to a usb commected portable hard drive I have.
Tom

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

VinylStudio can import your Discogs collection as follows:

1.  Export your collection from Discogs as a .csv file:

https://www.discogs.com/users/export?w=collection

2.  Import that file into VinylStudio via Menu -> File -> Import Discogs Collection.  As dtc says, there are some options along the way there.

1maynard

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on November 02, 2016, 02:12:26 PM
Hi,

VinylStudio can import your Discogs collection as follows:

1.  Export your collection from Discogs as a .csv file:

https://www.discogs.com/users/export?w=collection

2.  Import that file into VinylStudio via Menu -> File -> Import Discogs Collection.  As dtc says, there are some options along the way there.

Thanks Paul for the fast response, I will check that out. VS is a great product and this is one of the most help full forums I have participated in in quite some time.
Tom