News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Save Tracks at 48/16 on Flac forces mono?

Started by davelr, November 09, 2016, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davelr

I just got VinylStudio and quite like it but have run into something that I don't understand (well not just one thing, but...)

I've used VS on about four albums so far. I record to Flac and on the first album I set to 44/16, the subsequent albums I set to 48/16. All the albums show up in VS as 2ch.

When I saved out the tracks (all to Flac) of the 44/16 album (my test case) everything seemed fine, I imported it into JRiver library and all was well. I proceeded to save tracks on the other three and went ahead and imported the into JRiver as well, but when I played them back, they were all obviously in mono. I confirmed this with the DSP in JRiver and also by playing them in VLC and Media Monkey. Thinking I might have had something set wrong, I re-recorded one of these albums again at 48/16 but got the same result, mono tracks.

I deleted one of the 48/16 albums from all locations and then re-recorded one track off of it in 44/16, saved the track and played it back. Sure enough it's now 2ch.

I've carefully checked every setting that I could find including the Mix to Mono checkbox when creating a new album and can't find anything that would seem to indicate that the tracks would be saved in mono if at 48/16.

Is it not actually possible to record these at 48/16 or is there something else that I've missed?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

This is most odd, especially as I cannot reproduce the fault here.  Can you check the 'Mix down to Mono' checkbox in the Edit Album Details dialog please?  If this is checked, it would explain the problem.

Just to clarify, the 'Mix down to Mono' checkbox in the Create Album window applies when creating albums whereas the one in the Edit Album Details dialog shows / changes the setting for the album you are currently working on.

davelr

Thanks, Paul, that appears to be it although I've not tested as of yet. In checking the Edit Album Details screens for the albums the state of the mono checkbox is consistent with the results I was getting. I should have mentioned that the very first album that I recorded was an old Everly Brothers album that was a mono press and I'd decided that setting the "Mix down" checkbox in the new album screen would be a good idea. I surmise that I somehow got this messed up for a few albums.

In any event I really like the program as it is much easier to use than Audacity and the click detection is wonderful. I do have some more questions about other topics but will start new threads for those.

Thanks again.

double6jg

Look at the Windows Advanced Properties of your "Microphone" - have you inadvertently selected "1 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)"

davelr

Thanks for the suggestion, but no that wasn't the problem. As I wrote above, the albums were recorded as 2 ch. but were saved out as mono. My mistake was in not realizing that when I used mix down to mono for the Everly Brothers album I'd gotten it set at the Album Detail level. Just getting started with this program so am not familiar with where all the settings are.