News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter

Started by bkaplan, November 23, 2013, 01:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkaplan

Does anyone have any experience and comments on using the PS Audio NW Phono Converter as the A/D converter for vinyl?  Will Vinyl Studio support recording in DSD format from the NW?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

It will, very soon.  We should have a beta version capable of recording DSD available shortly.  When it is ready, I will post it here.

NMacJr

Paul,
Thank you.
I just ordered this new unit from PS Audio and very much want to try using the DSD feature to do my ripping. How PS Audio came up with the idea of a phono preamp combined with an ADC I don't know, but it's a great idea and should eliminate the use of a separate ADC.
Great software you provide, but I'm always looking to improve the workflow.
Regards,

Here it is (V8.6.0)

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/download.aspx

Please let me know how you get on.

sirlordcomic

Looks good, will let you know how it works out.

paddycook

I'm trying to record DSD with my PSD Audio Nuwave and following the instructions to set the recording level at 100%. However, this induces severe clipping, and lowering the level just a couple of clicks seems to totally kill the incoming level. Anyone know what's going on?

paddycook

After converting my DSF files back to AIFFs using DSD Master I see that the audio level is cutoff above -1.5db. Is there any automatic limiting being applied when recording DSD?

No, we record the bitstream from the Nuwave verbatim.

paddycook

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean the level is set in the Nuwave?

I guess so, although there's no defined '0dB' level in DSD as there is in PCM.  When converting to PCM, the converter has an influence on the level of the resulting file and that might be what you re seeing here.  In any case, if you convert to 24 bit there is plenty of dynamic range so -1,5dB is nothing to worry about, except perhaps for the effect on the playback volume.

skolis

Hi:
A question re: settings for the NPC and VS:

I'm using VS version V8.7.0 Mac
with a PS Audio NPC.

Apparently these companies both recommend each other, so I'm going to presume some 'compatibility'.

The NPC has it's own RIAA curve which I'm told ( by PSAudio) is the  (largely) Standard ( since 1954).
The NPC does not have a "flat" switch.
VS has, as one of the options, the same Standard RIAA curve.

The VS instructions advise to "apply inverse RIAA first"; then use the Standard RIAA Curve.

So I'm left with the impression that I've made  a "round trip" to where I started.

Why not just "disable" the EQ curve in VS, record from the NPC , and be done?

Any input from either a technical, SQ, playback, or subjective impressions (ONLY if you've actually tried it both ways) standpoint  would be appreciated.

( esp from Paul, re: the technical aspects)
thx

Hi,

I would turn off equalisation in VinylStudio and use the curve built into the NPC (which, in effect, you have to use anyway).  The only esception to this advice would be if you are recording 78's or other old discs which were mastered with a non-standard curve.  Then you can use VinylStudio to defeat the RIAA curve built into the NPC and apply the correct curve in its place.  Assuming you know what it is, that is...

skolis

Hi:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Your advice my conclusion from a SQ playback standpoint - but the differences are truly truly miniscule.
So much so, that I wasn't completely sure I wasn't just "hearing things".  So thanks.
How about another , hopefully quick, question.   The NPC manual advises "capping" the sample rate at 96kHz, saying
beyond that  is "not recommended for best sound".   I've been ignoring that and using 192 kHz.
But your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

And, speaking of appreciation, the more I play around with and get comfortable with the features of VS, the more I appreciate all the "stuff" that is built in and that it does.  Before I starting ripping discs everyone said how time consuming/complicated it is.  They're wrong. At least with VS, they're wrong.  Thanks for terrific software!

Hi,

I think 96 kHz is plenty high enough for digitising vinyl so personally I would stick to that.  I think PS Audio's advice is based on the fact that their ADC is actually done as DSD and this is then converted to PCM inside the unit.  When doing this, high sample rates can be a bit noisy, although you can't normally hear it.  PS Audio have a forum where you could ask about this if you want to know more (and my explanation may not be the correct one).