News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Cakewalk (Roland) UA-1G ASIO driver

Started by zounder1, December 09, 2010, 07:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zounder1

Ok, I am playing around with a Cakewalk UA-1G USB audio capture device.  I am mainly interested as it supports 96/24 bit recording with a feature called ASIO drivers.  An ASIO driver bypasses Windows audio processing so there is zero latency response and it lets you capture 96/24 bit auddio.

Now, when recording with Vinyl Studio I have been disappointed with the sound quality and there are times when audio recording just skips recording some of the audio.  (For example on track the singer says "Symptom" but VS only records "Imptom")

I called Cakewalk and they said the software must be set to use the ASIO driver.  (For example the supplied Sonar LE software has to be configured within the program to use the ASIO driver or it will use the Generic Windows sound driver.)  Otherwise VS will likely use the generic Windows driver.

Have you heard of these ASIO drivers before?  Is there any way that VS will support it?

As I said, I am playing around with things.  I am recording an album with Sonar LE and will export it as a FLAC.  Then import into VS and see what happens. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

You can here a sample FLAC recorded with the "skipping" I am experiencing here.  http://awcsupport.com/track2.flac

Rega RP1 turntable
ARTcessories USB Phono Plus V2
Groovmaster Label Saver record cleaner

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Yes, I know about ASIO and no, VinylStudio doesn't currently support it.  The sample you posted is rather short to analyse but glitches like this are very rare and point to a bug in the drivers supplied with / used by the device.  There is no good reason why this should be so - the Windows WAVE functions that we use are perfectly adequate for an application like VinylStudio - but apparently it is.

I will add ASIO support to our todo list but there are a number of other things of higher priority in the pipeline so it will be a while.  Sounds like your best off recording in Cakewalk and then importing your recordings into VinylStudio for further processing.  Sorry if that's a bit of a pain and thank you for letting us know about the problem.

Question: what version of Windows are you running?  Windows Vista and Windows 7 are rather more prone to this kind of problem than Windows XP.

zounder1

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on December 09, 2010, 08:48:36 PM
Question: what version of Windows are you running?  Windows Vista and Windows 7 are rather more prone to this kind of problem than Windows XP.

My setup:
Windows 7 64 bit
8GB RAM
Velociraptor 10K drive

Thanks for the reply.  I am not panicked about not having ASIO support in VinylStudio.  It is not the end of the world.  I have an ArtCessories USB PhonoPlus that does great recording 48/16bit with VinylStudio.

I am trying to see if there is any appreciable difference is quality recording with 96/24bit.  So far I really can't say if the extra effort is worth it.  (Blind sound tests are non-conclusive and likely just demonstrate I don't have a fancy enough stereo.)  I might try my Mac to see if that works better in VinylStudio.  (A quick question comes to mind.  Do I need to buy another copy to use your software on my Mac?)

Thanks again.
Rega RP1 turntable

OK, thanks.  It's a bit disappointing that it doesn't work properly but such is life I guess.  I too can't tell the difference between 16/48 and 24/96, and the files are lot smaller of course.

VinylStudio for Windows and VinylStudio for Macintosh are licensed separately, but a second license is half price.

Hi,

There's now a beta-test version of VinylStudio which supports ASIO.  If you'd like to try it we'd be grateful.  You can get it from here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/VSInstall_V8_20B1.exe

Please let us know how it goes.

zounder1

Sorry, I just saw this now.  I will be able to check into this on the weekend or next week.  I'll try and give some feedback.

Cheers.

--- Charles
Rega RP1 turntable

Bob

Well, it looks like 8.2.3 supports ASIO drivers.  That's great.  Does that mean that VS will definitely work with the Echo Indigo IOx?  The Echo website says that it comes with Core Audio, WDM, Direct Sound, MME and ASIO support.  I'd like to know before I buy the Indigo IOx and a license for Vinyl Studio.

I'm afraid I can't be certain of that, without a unit to test with.  You can download a free trial of VinylStudio from here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/download.aspx

Maybe you can get the Echo on a sale-or-return basis.

Bob

Well, I've gone and gotten an Echo Indigo IOx and will be trying it out soon.  It will be on a Dell Studio XPS-16 running Win7 Professional 64-bit.  Wish me luck.

Yes, very much so.  Please let me know.