News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

v9.0.5 (Windows) recording issue

Started by double6jg, May 22, 2018, 12:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double6jg

Just reporting that since upgrading to v9.0.4 (and subsequently v9.0.5) I have had a couple of instances where recording stops for no apparent reason.
Apart from the VS upgrades my setup and PC is unaltered bar Windows updates.
W10 Pro
i5 with 8GB Ram
USB Sound Card - Behringer VMX200

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Please try unchecking 'Use WASAPI for Recording' in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.  We made a change there which might not work for everyone.

double6jg

I will give that a whirl and report

double6jg

First album done (while I work) with that setting unchecked has gone OK albeit it did look like it was clipping more than usual - need to listen to it back after processing

If it's clipping then that's likely to be happening inside the Behringer itself.  Does it show up as USB Audio CODEC?  If so, and there are no controls on the unit itself, then there's not much you can do unless you can attenuate the signal going into it somehow.  For a long and boring discussion about this, see:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18.0

Please note that, once you uncheck that box, VinylStudio 9 behaves just like VinylStudio 8.

double6jg

I haven't ever had a clipping issue after setting Digital Gain to 1 a long time ago !
Playback seems OK - it could just have been an album with a very wide dynamic range.
The Behringer VMX200USB is in fact a switchable Phono/Aux/USB mixer so it does have input level controls (but I always record at 100%) - I find it really useful when you get to tack splitting stage as I can just swipe the input mix slider from right to left and the PC sound is then available.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-VMX200USB-Mixer-BPM-Software/dp/B00J5HXGHS - no longer available unfortunately

double6jg

I have made a few recordings now with no issue following the unchecking of that setting

OK, thank you.  This seems to be a Windows thing - it just affects a few machines, we have no idea why.