News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

How do I re-record and insert a track that was damaged during initial recording

Started by Robogrip, April 18, 2014, 11:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robogrip

Firstly, Thank You for a great piece of kit. Demoed and bought yesterday and have been having a blast recording my grandparents collection of old dusty vinyl. Can't wait to get to the 78's. I am using an Audio Technica 120  Turntable with an Ortofon 2m Cartridge and a 78 Stylus to add when i get there. My inputs to the Mac are going out to an iMic USB device that is still allowing me to control the input volume. Using the USB directly from the AT 120 was causing too many peaking issues.

And now to the question: I had my cellular phone on the table near the turntable when an incoming text message caused radio interference to spike and record onto the track that was processing at the time. I continued with the recording until the end of the album. How do I re-record just that track, delete the damaged version, and paste the new one in it's place?

Mac logic suggests {select, command/delete}, {select, command/c}, {place cursor, command/v}. This is not working. Help please.

Thank You,

Jon

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You can't do that unfortunately.  You'll have to re-record the entire album side, sorry.

Robogrip

As the album was recorded as a single file, how do I delete the tracks that constitute the second half of the album?

What is the limitation that is preventing us from re-recording a track Paul ?

Thank You

Hi,

If you recorded the album as a single file, you'll have to re-record the whole thing, sorry.

We don't support copy and paste because it doesn't fit in with VinylStudio's 'non-destructive' editing scheme.  I concede that it is useful on occasion.  One way you might achieve it is to edit the 'raw' recordings with Audacity, which is a free download from the Audacity website.

JCook

This happens to me a lot when there's a skip or a damaged track. I record the side to the end and then record another side of just the bad track (I have to figure out why it skipped, which usually involves increasing the weight on the stylus til it tracks well). I start recording that track near the end of the track before it and stop recording after it enters the following track. Then I silence the parts I don't want so only the one track is available. After cleanup, when I'm ready to burn a disk, I name the faulty track something like NG, for No Good, and then I drag all the tracks into the burn list, omitting the one named NG and putting in the good one to replace it. I put it in the proper sequence by dragging it, and then burn the CD. You won't have one long track but you will have ALL the tracks.

Jack

Crafty!  You can also tell VinylStudio not to save the faulty track in the 'Edit Track Details' dialog (uncheck 'Include in saved tracks').

JCook

Ah! I didn't know that! I'll try it next time I do a recording and have a problem. I don't like it when I have these problems though, but it's the legacy of vinyl that they don't always work properly.

Jack

iMark

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on May 18, 2014, 11:06:27 PM
Crafty!  You can also tell VinylStudio not to save the faulty track in the 'Edit Track Details' dialog (uncheck 'Include in saved tracks').

I discovered this trick the other day. Very useful.

Another thing I tried myself and it works: Suppose you record a whole opera as one side (like I did the other day) and you want to rerecord an album side because something went wrong during the recording, just rerecord. You can use the track markers to indicate where the tracks are supposed to start. You just cover the Not Good bit with a track marker and later save the tracks there are OK.