News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording vinyl with higher resolutions than 44.16

Started by bluesman54, October 11, 2014, 09:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesman54

Do you believe there will be any benefit from recording to higher resolutions than 44.16? There is a few discussions going on in many forums where this subject raise a few questions and arguments,for and against. What will be the benefits from using higher resolutions than 44.16, and will I be able to improve my vinyl recordings even more by recording to DSD format?Need to say that I have a lot of records from the 50's and 60's(mainly classical records) and pop/rock from late 60's onwards.
Pardon my English. Will be very happy for all answers to this topic!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Personally, no I don't, and DSD is a very restrictive format so for my part, I wouldn't use it, but some people like the sound, which is of course their choice.

In your position, I would make one recording at 44/16 and then record the same material again at 96/24 and get someone to help you do a 'blind' listening test.  If you can't hear the difference, oyu can save yourself some disk space by using the lower format.

bluesman54

Thanks Paul. I've recorded in 44.16, 44.24, 96.24, 192.24 and 176.32. I think the recording in 44.24 had less noise,and think the other formats had no extra benefits/resolution.So from now on I'll stick with 44.24.