News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Check Level

Started by LPBuff, January 27, 2014, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPBuff

As far as I know, it is necessary to sit with the vinyl album I want to record to watch the level meter and watch for "clips" and adjust the recording level to eliminate the clips. Is there any way for Vinyl Studio to "listen" and post the places where clips occur and recommend a recording level. My interest is that it takes so much time to listen through every minute to catch any errant clips. I thought maybe checking the levels at a higher turntable rpm would save some time, but don't know if that would influence the clips reported plus or minus. Thanks Randall

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Unfortunately, when the signal clips we don't know by how much so we can't recommend a recording level.  I would just err on the low side. You can always boost the plyback level after recording in the Adjust Filter Settings dialog.

LPBuff

I appreciate your suggestion to err on the low side and adjust at the end. thanks

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Quote from: reeta on September 09, 2014, 12:28:31 PM
Does that mean the level is set in the Nuwave?

Yes it does.  You can either set it with VinylStudio's recording  level slider (which is propagated to the NuWave), or via the NuWave's front panel (it has an option to adjust the gain of the phono preamp stage to match your cartridge).

iMark

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on September 09, 2014, 12:55:24 PM
Quote from: reeta on September 09, 2014, 12:28:31 PM
Does that mean the level is set in the Nuwave?

Yes it does.  You can either set it with VinylStudio's recording  level slider (which is propagated to the NuWave), or via the NuWave's front panel (it has an option to adjust the gain of the phono preamp stage to match your cartridge).

This is one of the reasons why using an old Minidisc deck as an ADC is very handy. It lets you set the recording level with a knop on the machine.