News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

How to adjust recording levels (Clipping) USB turntable/USB Audio Codec Sett.

Started by KrissPepper, November 01, 2022, 08:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrissPepper

Hello All,

I am new to Vinyl Studio and I am trying to find out how I can adjust the input level while recording.

I am using a USB turntable to digitize my old vinyl collection. Problem is that I cannot adjust the recording level via the slider while in USB Audio Codec mode, which I obviously need to use while using the USB turntable.

I am lucky with some of the vinyls with some of them clipping sometimes but re-listening to the recording it sounds still ok. But some of the vinyls are clipping like crazy with the slider level being mainly all the time in red so the recording obviously sounds terrible.

Is there anything to do and if so, what do I need to do in order to adjust the slider or anything else for a good recording?

Appreciate your help!

Kriss

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Sadly there isn't, the recording level in these turntables is fixed (which is why the sider is disabled).

What type of TT is it?  You might be able to fit a lower output cartridge, but you may not consider that cost-effective.

KrissPepper

Hello Paul,

Thx for getting back to me and I thought that this would be unfortunately the answer.

I am using my MacBook Pro with a Audio-technical AT-LP120XUSB turntable.

I also did a little research with other recording softwares but it looks like that there is the same issue as you mentioned in your reply.

What do you mean by lower output Cartridge?

Did not even knew that you can have lower level once!

If that is an option, how would I know what level/specs of Cartridge I would need/need to look for?

If I would find a Cartridge which would work, I guess I have to use that Cartridge than for the records which are clipping and change back to the system I am using now for the records which are not clipping, correct?

Thx again for your help

Kriss

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Yes, other recording software will be in the same boat.  The limitation is inside the turntable itself (specifically, in the USB chip they use).

I notice, though, that your TT also has a line-level output, and using that might actually be a better bet.  You would just need a suitable line-to-USB converter.  The Xitel Inport Deluxe would be a good choice, if you can get one.  These are no longer made unfortunately, but they do still turn up on eBay from time to time.  I have one and it's excellent (and you can adjust the recording level).