News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Speed to slowwwwww

Started by Simon48, September 28, 2022, 11:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon48

I haven't use Vinyl Studio in a long time so I may be doing something wrong but I am trying to record a LP and the speed is way wayyyy off. It's beyond slow motion bad...

Any idea what's going wrong here?

Thank you!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Maybe 'Speed Conversion' is checked?  That's the first thing to look at, anyway.  If not, please let me know.

Simon48

Speed conversion is not checked...

FYI I listen to records on my amp and everything is fine with the turntable so it really is either the program or the computer...

Hi,

OK, thanks.  What we have found, when this has cropped up in the past (as it does from time to time), is that it always turns out to be something to do with the hardware that is digitising the audio.  What are you using please, as a digitising device?  Has it worked correctly before?

Also, it's always worth cycling the power on everything, you never know.  (And I would unplug the USB cable if it's a USB device, as part or all of the circuitry is usually USB-powered).

Also, you might like to send us a sound sample to look at.  If you'd like to do that, please contact us via our main contact page and we'll take it from there:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/contact_us.aspx

Thx.

Simon48

Thank you but I find the problem...

I was trying recording at 24/96 but for some reason the program was set at 16/44... Oddly enough, the program tells me my card support 24bit at all rates but doesn't show 16bit as well... Is it possible?

Thanks!

Interesting, none of that should be possible!  Were you setting 24 / 96 on the front panel or something?  Anyway, couple of things:

1.  What kind of ADC do you have please?  I'd like to try and understand what's going on here a bit better.

2.  Perhaps you could include what VinylStudio displays in its 'Sample Rates' dialog in your reply.  There's a link there to copy and paste the information, you don't need to retype it or send a screenshot or anything.

Once I know these things I hope to be able to comment further.  Thx.

Simon48

Recording device Digital Audio (S/PDIF) on C-Media High Definition Audio Device supports the following sample rates and bit depths:

44.1 kHz at upto 24 bits per sample, 2 channels
    48 kHz at upto 24 bits per sample, 2 channels
    88.2 kHz at upto 24 bits per sample, 2 channels
    96 kHz at upto 24 bits per sample, 2 channels
    176.4 kHz at upto 24 bits per sample, 2 channels
    192 kHz at upto 24 bits per sample, 2 channels

I have a Pro-Ject Essential Digital 2 with integrated phono/ADC...

Like I said, I haven't used the program in a very long time (more than a year) but I remember last time I tried to record at 16/44 and It didn't worked so I gave up and convert the rate with dBpoweramp instead...

Now, today, I wanted to needle drop something and the program promped me to update, which I did, and everything seemed the same as before. Until the recording sounded slow and wrong...

I didn't bother much and just came here and await for help... Then playing with it a little I saw that the bit and sample rate was at 16/44 and I usually record at 24/96... I switched and voil

Simon48

I also think the ADC in my Pro-Ject max out at 24bit 96kHz... It is connected to my PC soundcard with an optical Toslink cable.

You're right, it does, I checked the specs.  In fact, it is locked at 24 / 96 which would explain the problem you were experiencing trying to record at 44kHz (that being VinylStudio's default setting).

So I dug around a bit more (I'm not knowledgeable about S/PDIF) and discovered that it is unidirectional - i.e. data can only be sent from your TT to the computer and not the other way round, so this would mean that there's no way to tell the TT what sample rate and bit depth you're trying to use.  Ergo, both must be fixed and 24 / 96 is what Pro-Ject went for (which is just fine, BTW).

The other thing is that S/PDIF has no (good) way of telling the computer what sample rate your TT uses, so the driver is left with no option but to offer them all and leave it up to you to pick the right one.  Which you have now done, so, happy days.

As for the bit depth, S/PDIF doesn't know what the TT supports for that either, so it evidently just says to VinylStudio '24 bits' and leaves it at that.

PS:  It's good to know all this actually, it's not cropped up before (TOSLINK is generally used for output, rather than input), but I'm glad it has.

Simon48

24/96 it will be from now on...!

Thank you for all the help Paul!

:)