News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Info/Warning Message For New Users Of Vinyl Studio

Started by Jabod, March 18, 2022, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabod

Having gone through a learning curve with Vinyl Studio, as you do, I have a suggestion for an information/warning message to show on first use of the software.

When I started I was unaware of the duality of the output (master file and tracks). No complaints about that as it allows for non-destructive alterations which is a very good thing. I was also unaware of the linkage between the two and the inability to move the master file once set - tracks not a problem. As I'm saving to FLAC (and this would apply to any non-lossy format) this takes up a larger amount of hard drive space. I'm calculating about 800/900GB for my collection when complete. Having shifted the tracks to a 3TB external hard drive it was then I discovered the immovability of the master file. in and of itself this wasn't a problem as I decided to create a new collection and specify the external drive as the residence for the collection.

This was done for two reasons:

1. I wanted to keep the master file with the tracks in case of any problems in the future.

2. I wanted to be able to create a duplicate as a back-up and usable away from the creating PC which has the Vinyl Studio software on.

As I had only recorded 10 albums starting from scratch again wasn't a problem; just extra time spent but as a chunk of that time was also a learning curve no complaints from me. However, if I had gotten some way in to find out that I'm running out of disc space and couldn't tie everything together in a different place I wouldn't have been amused hence the suggestion above to warn new users to take care and plan where the recordings are going to go.

I would strongly suggest the usage of an external Hard Drive is advocated from the start even given the size of internal PC Hard Drives these days. My D drive where I initially pointed the collection to (it's my data drive after all  :) ) is 2TB in size but having everything there would leave very little room in the future. I could then buy a larger Hard Drive and clone the old to the new but how many people have the knowledge or the wish to undertake the work and bear the cost?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Thanks for this.  We will review the Getting Started section of the VinylStudio help file.  I don't think this sort of information belongs in a popup.

Hello again,

We tweaked the VinylStudio 'startup wizard' - i.e. the first thing a new user sees when running the software for the first time.  Screenshot attached, comments welcome.

SoundDoc

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response but no notification came through to me for some reason.

Anyway, to see the full-size image, just click on it :)