News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

New Version Does Not Record Side 2 of an Album

Started by Dadamson, January 30, 2022, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dadamson

Having recorded 15 albums in the past month under the previous version of VS, I'm quite comfortable with the process. However after trying to record my first album under version 12.5.0 I'm finding that the program will not set itself up automatically to record side 2, and gives a warning that to proceed to do that ,it will overwrite side 1 - which it did. On the split tracks module, the wave form only displays on side 1 - side two is blank. Further although it retains the names of the tracks from side 1, the wave form is definitely side 2.

I have screenshots from the various stages of recording.

The first time I recorded I activated the box "record all sides as one file" as I normally do.

I tried the recording process again with this box not activated but ended up with the same overwrite message.

I also recall that the "maximum recording time" box always included a set figure, but now it must be entered.

Thoughts?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Sorry about this.  We will fix these issues in the next release, due out in the next few days.

In the meantime:

1.  Create your album explicitly (via the 'Create Album button') before you record it, rather than creating it via the 'Record' button.

2.  Uncheck and then recheck 'Record all sides as one file' just before you hit Record.  That will ensure that VinylStudio does the right thing.

Apologies for the hassle.  Not our finest hour.

Dadamson

Just an observation that for some reason I didn't have any success when using this method either.

So I'm fine to wait for the next release you are working on.

No need to respond.

Thanks

... and we are!  V12.5.1 addresses this, please update.

Dadamson

Well after installing 12.5.1 and trying to record an album, I'm still getting the "overwrite" warning dialogue box when flipping the record over and pressing the record button again.

Hi,

Seems to be working here.

Is 'Record all sides as one file' checked?  V12.5.0 was forgetting that setting and may have left it unchecked.  If so, just check it again and it should 'stick'.

If you're still having a problem, please detail the set of steps you went through to arrive at the point where VinylStudio asks you if you want to overwrite the file.  Thanks.

Dadamson

Paul, here are my findings so far:
1. Before starting the recording process, I first decided to "restart" my Windows 10 PC. Then I did two methods of recording in case one was corrupted: first I downloaded the discogs data before recording and the next time I downloaded the data while recording. The good news is that either way works. Perhaps I shook something loose when restarting the PC.

However;

2. After successfully recording a couple of tracks on each side of the album, I then went to the Split Tracks screen. In the past, when the discogs information was downloaded VS would try to automatically place the flags between tracks. I notice now that they are not there, and so have to be inserted manually. So that's a change from before.

3. Still in the Split Tracks mode, I notice that even with the discogs tracks named in the listing at the top, activating a particular track wave form does not then display the name of that track in the title bar. If I click on a track name in the list, the cursor simply moves back to the first track on Side 1.

4. The "record all sides as one file" box was initially unchecked, so I enabled it. When I recorded the second time it stuck, as you suggested.

So I am able to record both sides of an album again, but some previously enjoyed features no longer work for me.

Hope this information helps!

Hi,

Did the track listing you retrieved from Discogs include track times?  Not all do.  If it didn't, then the 'Duration' column in the list of tracks in the Split Tracks window will be blank.

In such a case, VinylStudio won't / can't insert any track breaks and will behave as you describe.  Solution: find a listing with track times and import that instead.

Glad the other issue is fixed.

Dadamson

Well, as I wasn't sure if the track times were included on the download so I decided to delete the existing recording and re- record the album, making sure that the track times were included.
I'm back to the overwrite screen after trying 3 times. It's all getting quite frustrating.
My procedure is the same that I've always done with the previous version of VS.
1. In the record screen I ensure that the Record or Import a New Album is highlighted.
2. I press the Record button and complete the Artist Info, etc, but do not download the discogs details at this time (although it doesn't seem to matter)
3. I press the Record button at the bottom of the Artist Info box
4. I press the Okay button in the "Ready To Record" box
5. Drop the needle when prompted. (On a previous screenshot on this step, the "Side To Record" shows "Side 1", this time it shows "Side 1 (or whole thing)". Not sure if this means   something.
6. When Side I completes, I press the Stop button.
7. Flip the record over and press Record.
8. The Overwrite box appears.

I have screenshots of each step that I can send to you if they are helpful.

Curious that no one else seems to be posting a similar experience.

I look forward to your comments, Paul.

Don't press the Stop button.  Press the Pause button.

Incidentally, 'Record all sides as one file' really comes into its own when you have 'Wait for needle down' checked.  If you have a turntable that lifts the tone arm at the end of the album side then this is the recommended setting (because recording then pauses automatically and you don't record a load of silence).

Dadamson

All seems well now after recording two albums using the "pause" button (although I'm unclear what the countdown message is conveying).

The reason I was using the "record" button until now was that help guide stated this in the "recording side 2" section - and it worked fine then.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and prompt replies to get me back on track, Paul.

You're welcome, I'm glad it's working.

The countdown message is telling you that VinylStudio thinks it has detected the album side and is waiting to make sure.  Then it will pause recording automatically.  The idea is that you don't have to stand guard over your recording - you can go off and do something else and come back later.