News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Cursor Shifts When Moving Waveform Forward

Started by Dadamson, January 27, 2022, 06:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dadamson

After loading 12.5.0 yesterday, I resumed work on an album. However in both the Split Tracks and Cleanup Audio modes, I notice that when I slide the bar at the bottom of the screen to the right to shift the waveform, the cursor bounces all the way back to the far left hand side of the screen and begins to play whatever is on that waveform. In the past the cursor would remain in place and continue to play the same track regardless of when I zoomed in and wanted to advance the waveform.

I've checked out the cursor options but don't see a solution there.

Any thoughts?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

It's a change we made to accomodate 'nudging' the cursor with shift-left arrow and shift-right arrow.  I will review it, maybe it's not such a good idea.

PS: VinylStudio has always behaved that way when you moved the scrollbar to the left.  Maybe what's sauce for the goose...

Hmmm, more news on this.  We have received another comment (privately) that another customer likes this change.  How do you feel about it, once, perhaps, you get used to it?

davidh

I have updated to Mac OS Monterey since I last used VinylStudio and it doesn't seem to be operating in quite the way described. It doesn't matter how you move the waveform, dragging the bottom bar, two finger swipe on the trackpad, or using the arrow keys it always shifts the cursor to the left edge when the sound is on. When the sound is turned off it moves the cursor to the centre of the display. I find this a real nuisance and it definitely makes track splitting a much slower process.

Dadamson

Well, for me the change only requires one mouse click to return the cursor to its previous location, so it's certainly not a hardship.

Being so new to this amazing program I will defer to the more experienced users regarding the change - and playing around with it, I can see it's advantages.

Perhaps down the road there might be a "toggle" to choose between the old and the new!

In the meantime,thank you for your kind request for my comments.

davidh

Actually it doesn't slow down track splitting quite as I thought at first. You can move down the waveform just by moving the cursor to the extreme right while playing and letting it automatically move the waveform. I just can't see any advantages at all from the change, just inconveniences.

OK, we will review this.  We have had reports of some other issues, so we will probably put things back as they were.  It was done to facilitate 'nudging' the cursor left and right with shift-left arrow / shift-right arrow, but maybe it's not so important that that works nicely when playing.

Update: I have now reviewed the code and, I believe, fixed this issue.  We will may issue a Beta before making a formal release, just to make sure that everything is working as it should be, before updating all our users.  If and when we do, I will post back here.

Hello again,

We have now released an update to address this, amongst other things (V12.5.1).  Please let me know if you still have a problem with the way VinylStudio is behaving.

Dadamson

Paul,
The cursor works fine now - nice to have it back the "old" way!