News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Change default location of collection?

Started by leblancj, January 01, 2022, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leblancj

I inadvertently created two VinylStudio collections, one called ..\_F Vinyl Studio and the other ..\_F VinylStudio. These are under different Windows profiles. Can I merge these two? I realize that I can only have one .mcf file and I will likely have to choose the larger one and then import albums from the other one but that's okay. Can I at least move the other folders either using Windows Explorer or within VS itself?

Is there a way to change the default collection folder? (I've attached a screenshot as a file as I couldn't figure out how to insert an image here; if that doesn't show up, I've described the screenshot here). VS settings shows that I can change the location where I store my results but it doesn't give me the option to change the collection folder. Is this done only on initial set up? Can it be changed in the registry?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Yes you can, although you do need VinylStudio Pro.  There's a link to a video showing how to do it on our tutorials page:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=725.0

You select the folder where your collection is stored when you create it.  You can't change it later - you have to go through the procedure shown in the video.  Moving recordings around outside of VinylStudio is not advised - it will lose track of where they are and get confused.

Please note, just for clarity, that you can change the folder where your saved tracks are stored at any time.  Then just save them again (or you can move them across yourself, VinylStudio doesn't try to keep track of where they live).

leblancj

Happy to upgrade; your support is superb! I in fact tried this morning and got a spinning wheel when the site went to Paypal. Just tried again; same behaviour. I'm using FF on W10 and my ad blocker is off. I'll try another browser.

Could be that PayPal is having an off day.  Please let me know if this continues to be a problem and we'll work something out.

GregC

I did not read this posting and I tried to manually move files and now nothing can be found, work in progress and old recordings.  I looked and the files are not on my hard drive.  When you change settings are the old files deleted? Is there any way to recover lost files?  Is it too late to buy the Pro version?  I lost 180 albums so I am freaking out. Please advise.

No, nothing is ever deleted, but you do need to make sure that the .mcf file is in the right place relative to the folder containing your recordings.  The help file documents where that is.

GregC

I copied the Recordings directory (and sub-directories) from my local drive to a NAS folder.  Then I used Winmerge utility to verify every file was copied from the local drive to the NAS drive and the binaries were all identical.  After doing so I could open the MCF file from the NAS folder and all of my work was accessible.  Thanks for providing the folder layout in the help file.

I had a problem using Vinyl Studio Pro to copy my work to a new collection using the menu options.  There was an error when I clicked the menu option to Copy.  However, the manual method worked fine.   

Can you tell me what the error was please?  We *have* tested it...

GregC

Here is the message.

Assert failed:
    tdata->tcpHook == NULL
file g:\source\hpslib\v12_53\wndclass.cpp, line 306
  • (dump file generated)

VinylStudio V12.53
Windows version 6.1.7601.2 (Service Pack 1), SP1.0

OK, thanks.  This should be fixed in V13 (and do please update, if you haven't already):

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/download_win.aspx

GregC

I run Vinyl Studio on an old Windows 7 machine.  I tried to upgrade to version 13.1.1, and unfortunately after doing so the recordings would stop 6 to 7 minutes in.  I tried 4 times and had the same thing happen.  When I reverted back to version 12.5.3 the recordings were no longer stopped prematurely.  I would like to upgrade but the early stoppage of recordings prevents me from doing so. 

GregC

BTW - I have used your software since 2012 and it is amazing. I just upgraded to Pro version. 

You can fix that problem (after reinstalling V13.1.1) by changing the new 'Host' setting in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.

The best option is probably WASAPI exclusive event driven, or failing that WASAPI shared event driven.

The reason for all this hassle is buggy Windows sound card drivers, and the setting that you are (successfully) using on V12.5.3 doesn't carry over to V13 (because of the new dropdown, which has more options than formerly).

GregC

I upgraded to v13.1.1 and changed the recording default from "WASAPI shared (polled)" to "WASAPI exclusive (event driven)" and all is good now.  Thanks for the suggestion.

GregC

The Copy album feature works through the software with version v13.1.1.  One thing I could not figure out is how to overwrite an album in a destination collection.  The list shows the album exists and the album is not copied if it exists in the destination collection. 

I figured the only way to copy and overwrite is to first delete the album in the destination collection before copying the album from the source collection.  Is there a way to be prompted to overwrite?