News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Delete one channel

Started by leblancj, December 31, 2021, 04:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leblancj

I have a tape of conversation with a solid left channel but a distorted right channel. Is it possible to delete the right channel and then record the left channel as mono? Alternatively, can I delete the right channel in the "Cleanup Audio" tab and then replace it with the left channel so that I'm left with effectively a mono recording of the single high quality channel?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Sorry, no.  It's just something we haven't considered.

What I would recommend is editing the recording in Audacity (which is a free download) to blank the defective channel, and probably duplicate the good one.  Then you can do your track splitting and any further audio cleanup in VinylStudio in the usual way and end up with mono tracks, once saved.

Audacity can be a useful adjunct to VinylStudio from time to time.  VinylStudio can do most things, but, being a dedicated audio editor, Audacity has some features that VinylStudio lacks (and vice-versa, of course).

leblancj

Makes sense to use both. Would it be best then to save such material as a .wav file? I'm thinking that would save compressing and decompressing with each change between VS and Audacity. Are there any issues with having to import the file from Audacity or as long as Audacity doesn't change its storage format and it stays in the same location, any edits done in Audacity will be transparent to VS and it will allow it to be loaded.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Yes, it always make sense to record to a lossless format (which WAV is), and if you edit the file in-place in Audacity then VinylStudio should pick up the changes (you might need to regenerate the waveform display after editing).

leblancj