News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Problem with recording Side 2

Started by Eric, November 26, 2020, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

I'm new to VS and am having a problem recording side 2 of an album.  I'm recording to WAV format 96kHz/24bit.  Recording seems to go well.  I get two WAV files, one for each side, I split tracks, declick, and then try to convert to MP3 format. 

At some point, I get the following error message:
=================================================
File:

Ray_Charles~Greatest_Hits~side2.wav

cannot be opened because its sample rate (96 kHz) does not match other files recorded or imported for this album (48 kHz).

You can remove this file via the list of recordings in the Cleanup Audio window or select Check for Changes from the Album menu at any time.
=================================================

I didn't make any changes between recording Side 1 and Side 2.  Not sure what is going on, but I'm unable to proceed with making MP3 files.  Any ideas what is going wrong or how to avoid this problem?  I'm sure it is something that I am doing wrong, but not sure what it is.

Any insights would be appreciated, 

Thanks,
Eric

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I'm not sure how this happened since VinylStudio tries to protect you, but take a look in VinylStudio's Recording Options dialog and then click on the WAV File Options button.  If it says anything other than 96 kHz in there then change it to 96 kHz and re-record side 1.

I would also find a screenshot of VinylStudio's Record window useful.  To take a screenshot:

1.  Click on the window you want to capture.

2.  Press ALT + Print Screen.

3.  In your email program, press Ctrl+V or select Paste from the Edit menu.

If you email it to p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk I will then take a look and get back to you.

Many thanks.

Eric

Hi Paul,

This seems to be yet another example of "user error" as I am learning the software.  I was working under "batch" mode and I had skipped splitting the tracks, thus there were multiple versions of the file that it was trying to process, one was a duplicate of the previous one, but I had reduced the bitrate from the original recording that I made. 

I am now able to accomplish what I was trying to do without the error.  I'm working on digitizing my father's LP collection.  This vinyl hasn't been on a turn table in 30+ years.

As I explore more and more, I am tremendously impressed with the feature set of the software!  Using a FocusRite 2i4 as my ADC input to VinylStudio, I was able to identify a problem with my turntable setup.  There was a great deal of low-end noise (10Hz-200Hz) coming through in my recordings that I hadn't previously identified.  It showed up rather starkly, though, while making a noise sample of the between-track space (and clicking the button to show the spectrum graph) in order to remove some surface crackle.   

I slipped another board under my turntable, making a "sandwich" with a partially inflated bicycle inner tube between the new board and the shelf in my equipment rack and the noise in the bass area is gone! 

Great stuff - Thanks!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)