Author Topic: Compensating for channel differences?  (Read 1592 times)

bjornvinyl

• Contributor
Compensating for channel differences?
« on: October 07, 2018, 10:40:37 pm »
Hi, I have a cartridge with a balance making the right channel slightly louder (1-2dB). Even though this is not a big deal, it would be perfect to compensate for this when I normalise the album. I have seen the option "Normalise left and right channel separately", but I want a correction, specified as a number, to be applied to all album sides regardless of the musical content. Is this possible today and if not could this feature be added in the future? Best regards

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

• Administrator
  • Staff
    • AlpineSoft Main Website
Re: Compensating for channel differences?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:54:05 pm »
Hi,

The way to do this is to set up a filter preset with the preamp sliders adjusted appropriately.  You can then apply this preset as a default for all new recordings via Menu -> Cleanup Audio -> Set Default Filter Settings and Equalisation Curves.

bjornvinyl

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 11:42:05 pm »
Thanks for a quick reply. I have made a preset with -1 dB correction of the right channel and set is a default as described. How can I see that the correction is applied? If I normalise will it then be added to the corrections computed by the normalisation? Best regards

• Administrator
  • Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:58:20 am »
Hi,

To see if the compensation has been applied you can just go look at the preamp sliders.  Normalisation will override any existing setting.

bjornvinyl

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:56:30 pm »
Hi, Thank you. Now I understand what is available. I still think that combining normalisation with a fixed correction of the channel balance would be a useful feature. The intuitive place to put it (at least to me) would be in the normalisation dialog. What do you think?

• Administrator
  • Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 11:10:15 pm »
Yes, possibly, we'll take a look.