News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Ghost in the machine

Started by twotinears, August 19, 2018, 11:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twotinears

In several instances on one album it seems that the last note or notes from the previous track appear in the next track.  Then there is a short gap and the next cut begins.  This is not heard on the original vinyl.  Any ideas?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Did you try fine-tuning the positions of the track break markers?  This is covered in the following video:

https://youtu.be/CJ5poE8eAac

twotinears

Paul,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I watched the video as you suggested.  I also played the file saved in my computer. 

The problem does not appear in the saved file.  Am I missing something here?

tte

I still think the track breaks are not in the right place.  Please zoom in and check.

twotinears

Of course you were correct.  That fixed the problem.  I just could not understand why the error did not appear when playing from the hard drive and did appear from a burned cd.  thanks again...

Well that's  an easy one :)  The track breaks are applied when you save your tracks or burn a CD.

twotinears

Paul,
With your help I succeeded with one record. I then tried to "improve" my settings and have now succeeded in being unable to get a feed to "check level".  I am running Windows 10 and feeding it with a generic USB cable from a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter.  It also feeds the Benchmark DAC2 HDC.  I can listen to the album playing but get nothing on "check level". 
The settings are for 96/24 and I tried to follow the PS Audio setup instructions.
I have spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out and have despaired.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Please post a screenshot of your Check Level window.  Thanks.

twotinears

Looking forward to your reply.  Here is the screenshot of my Check Level Screen.
thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for this.  That all looks ok to me, although you could also open the 'Change Playback Device' dialog to check that you have the correct playback device selected.

The obvious thing to check is that you have PCM (as opposed to DSD) selected on the front panel of the NPC.  You should also check that a signal is reaching the NPC in the first place.

Let's start with that.

twotinears

Paul,
Thanks for the check list.

The problem was that I inadvertently checked DSD instead of PCM when I was trying to "improve" my settings.

Have a great weekend....