News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Speed Conversion

Started by MyKart, May 04, 2018, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyKart

I've got a 45rpm LP that I am trying to record on a turntable set to 33.33rpm but I can only get a result that is too fast or too slow. I figured the recording would playback normally if I set the Record/Tape to 45 and Turntable to 33 but, it plays back too fast. If I reverse those settings, it plays back way too slow. What am I missing?
VS - 9.03, High Sierra 10.13.4
Thanks for any help.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I just retested this and VinylStudio is working fine so I don't know exactly what's happening here.

The initial settings you had were correct and you can check that VinylStudio is operating correctly by comparing the reported elapsed time at the end of the recording (before you dismiss the 'Recording complete' message) with the duration of the resulting file.  The duration of the file should by about 3/4 of the elapsed time when recording.

If that pans out then the problem lies elsewhere, but exactly where I'm not sure.  You can fudge your way round this by increasing the 'turntable' speed setting in VinylStudio (you can type a number in the box).  You will have to experiment (by making test recordings) until it sounds right.

MyKart

Paul,
I think it was just brain gas. I had used speed conversion several times and didn't have this problem so i decided to try another 45 rpm album and it recorded and sounded normal. The problematic album was an artist that I was unfamiliar with. When I played it at 33, the vocals sounded like John Lee Hooker (who I adore) when I played it at its' intended speed, it sounds like more like Lulu. It's just an album that sounds much better played at slower speed. Sorry about that. With all the recent updates, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

No worries.  Everyone (especially me) gets nervous when a new release comes out.