News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Sensitivity Setting when Declicking

Started by dtc, January 22, 2015, 11:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtc

I am trying to understand exactly what the sensitivity setting does when declicking. Sensitivity clearly determines what  anomalies are classified as clicks. But, does it also determine how that click is fixed? Here is my observation. When I set sensitivity higher, especially on a damaged record, it seems that the higher sensitivity finds the really big scratches fine, but only corrects them to the very edge of the damage. I then still hear some of the click. To fix this, I simply enlarge the fix manually, often to twice the size or more of the actual damage. The original fix often looks OK on the display, but I still hear it. Once I widen the repair, the click goes away. My perception, although I have not systematically tested this, is that I have this problem more on higher sensitivity settings that on low ones. The clicks are of the order of .001 seconds. I am doing this at 192/24 if that matters. Can you provide some more information on what sensitivity actual controls in this situation?

Also, in another thread you said that if you select a BP or PP and hit (M) it converts that to a manual fix. When I do that, I get a market instead. Am I doing something wrong? Right now I just grab an edge and expand it a little and it turns into a manual fix.

FYI - when doing a lot of these click repairs on a damaged album it would be nice to have a way to toggle between a relatively zoomed out view (say 10 seconds full scale) and just the zoom needed to do a repair. Then I could listen for problems, stop, jump to repair zoom, do the repair and then zoom back out to resume listening. I can use the thumbwheel, but two keys or two icons would be a nice addition.

Thanks.

Tom

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

The way in which VinylStudio determines the width of a click repair is more of an art than a science.  We do our best, but we don't always get it quite right.  It's not really directly related to the sensitivity setting, although higher settings *should*, in theory, give slightly wider repairs, but it doesn't always pan out that way.

To convert a PP or BP marker into a click repair, press R rather than M.  Sorry about that.

You can zoom in on a click repair by right-clicking on it in the Corrections List and selecting Zoom Correction.  Or double-click on the entry in the list.  There's no keyboard equivalent, and there's no 'revert to previous zoom' function (not quite sure how I would do that, since you might also have scrolled the display horizontally).  I'll look at this.

dtc

Thanks for the quick response, as always. I understand the art versus science part. Quite frankly, I am amazed it works as well as it does. It is often hard to program what is obvious to the human brain.

Thanks for the R command. Interestingly, it inserts a manual fix, but not as the same size as the protected one. With that, I will probably just continue enlarging them to make them manual.

Looked right through the Zoom to Correction. It helps, but a single key to zoom in wherever the pointer is would be nice. Understand the zoom out issue. It sounds like there is just a zoom in and out with the only set point all the way out. I should of thought of that. But, if you could do a 10 second view key it would be nice.

Thanks, as always. These correction issues mostly come from my old 60's rock, which was not always treated as well as they could have been.  But, as Judy Collins always says - if you say you remember the 60's you weren't really there:)

Thanks.

Tom

dtc

How about just doing 20 zoom outs without refreshing the screen until the end? Even refreshing the screen each time would be better than me hitting the zoom out 20 times? Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

dtc

The mouse wheel is better than just hitting zoom in and zoom out. However, I like to minimize repetitive hand/finger motions if possible. Not a big issue, but something to think about. I am now about done with my old rock, and the issue is not nearly as important for my classical. Not as many frisbee parties when listening to Brahms.

Hi,

You can also use the + and - keys (no need to press shift).  Maybe that helps a little.

dtc

Thanks Paul, I'll give that a try also. I am getting used to the mouse wheel. Fortunately, the albums I am working on now need far fewer manual repairs.