News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Questions about lost connection and end of side detection

Started by GaryG, April 02, 2013, 06:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryG

I have been using Roxio's Easy LP to MP3 and have become frustrated with the track title identification process, so after reading some great reviews I have started a trial of VinylStudio.  I have questions about some things encountered converting an album.  The album was Aqualung by Jethro Tull. 
During my first attempt, the end of side 1 was not detected, and I'm pretty certain I waited over 20 seconds.  I stopped the recording, deleted the album from the collection and started my second attempt.  For the second attempt I didn't use Check Level because it was set from the first attempt.  About 12 minutes into the second attempt I noticed the record level meters stopped working, and the amount of space used wasn't increasing, although the recording time continued to increase.  Again the end of side 1 wasn't detected, but I may have been too quick.  I hit PAUSE, flipped the LP, hit RECORD, and noticed the record level meters still weren't working, so I hit STOP.  I went to Split Tracks and saw only a little over 8 minutes had been recorded.  I deleted the album and shutdown and restarted VS.
On my third attempt I went to Check Level and the record level meters still showed nothing while playing the album.  I switched Input Source from Line on USB Multimedia Audio Device to SPDIF Interface on USB Multimedia then back to Line on USB Multimedia Audio Device, and the meters started to work.  My connection is: Denon DP-37F turntable to Denon PMA-757 Pre-main amp, RCA cables from amp TAPE REC to Roxio Audio Capture USB device, and USB cable from Roxio Audio Capture to my laptop running Windows 7.  Are there any known problems using the Roxio device?  Should I use something else to connect the amp to my laptop?  I've never had a connection problem recording 40+ albums with Easy LP to MP3.
For the third attempt I also changed Needle Up time from 20 to 15 seconds, and everything worked fine for both sides of the album.  Are you aware of any problems with the needle up function?
I was impressed with the track identification feature, so I may switch to VinylStudio after further testing.  Currently my main concern is the dropped connection while recording.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I'm sorry for the long post.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

We have had one or two similar issues reported recording from USB devices on Windows 7 but nothing we can pin down, despite talking to Microsoft about it.  If there is a problem, it lies within Windows rather than VinylStudio.  I would try with a different USB cable and / or port.  Any problems here might cause this.  Also make sure your Roxio device has a clean power supply.  We found during testing that interrupting the power supply briefly to a similar USB device caused recording to stop in the way you describe.  You can also bypass the Roxio entirely.  Running a cable from TAPE REC on your amp to line-in on your computer should give excellent results.  The cable you need is pictured here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/connecting_up.aspx

We are not aware of any problems with the needle-up function, but if there is random noise being generated anywhere within your audio hookup that might stop it from detecting the end of the LP side (which is detected as, by default, 20 seconds of silence, or at least near-silence).

GaryG

Hi Paul,
Sorry I forgot to mention that I had read the FAQ, Guide, and Help File prior to posting and probably read the material too quickly.  Due to my misunderstanding or ignorance, I  thought the NAD PP3 only applied to those who used a turntable without an amp.  I wasn't certain if my laptop Mic jack was mono, and I didn't have a cable to test it.  If I have further problems with the Roxio Audio Capture device, I'll try the RCA to mini cable into my Mic jack, and if it is mono, I'll try the Griffin iMic, unless you feel there is an additional benefit with the NAD PP3.
The Roxio Audio Capture device is powered by the USB port; no separate power supply.
Thanks for you quick response.

GaryG

Hi Paul,
I found that I had a female RCA to mini cable, so I connnected the RCA from my amp TAPE REC to it and the mini to the MIC In on the laptop.  The quality of the recording was terrible, and it was mono.  Therefore this is not an option.
I moved the Roxio device to another USB port, and the album went fine.  During the next album I had to take a phone call about 1-2 min. prior to the end of side 1.  When I returned about 10-15 min. later, there was no Recording has been paused message.  Also, the recording meters were frozen.  I hit PAUSE, flipped the LP, hit RESUME, and the meters stayed frozen.  I thought there might have been a timeout with the recording has been paused message, but subsequent tests showed the message will stay there for over an hour.  Therefore I feel I had another lost connection issue.

I'm currently considering obtaining a Griffen iMic.  I'm also considering the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB Audio System SB1240 or the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System SB1095.  These sound cards seem to be designed to go from PC to music system and not to the PC from an amp.  I'm going to check online for more info about them.  Do you know anything about them?

Hi,

I have a Griffin iMic.  It's fine, but limited to 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rates.  I don't have any experience of the other two cards, sorry.

GaryG

Hi Paul,
I received my Griffin iMic today, and I'm not having any better luck with it.  I also downloaded the recent update to VinylStudio.  I tested the iMic recording a few tracks and one side of an LP and had no problems.  I started to record the entire LP, walked away, and when I returned the recording meters and statistics for size were frozen.  It only recorded about 1 1/2 min. when it froze.  I moved the iMic to a USB port I have been using for the transceiver of my wireless mouse.  I started to record the LP again, and it froze at 57 seconds.  The USB ports have worked fine with various external hard drives and other devices, so I don't think the problem is related to my laptop's hardware.  Not sure what I'm going to do next.

Hi,

Can you try unchecking 'Use WASAPI for Recording' please in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.  Sorry about the problems you are having but we have looked into this and it's not a bug in VinylStudio.  We're not quite sure what it is.

GaryG

Hi Paul,
Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you, but I've only been able to test on and off for the past two weeks.  I have not experienced any lost connection/recording meter freezes since unchecking WASAPI, so that appears to have corrected the problem.

I may have another question about all the files, but I need to read about archiving and exporting and check the forums first.  If I have any questions, I'll open a new topic.

Thanks for all of your help.

Gary