News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Running VinylStudio in Wine; MX linux 23 (Debian 12 based)

Started by LateJunction, January 10, 2024, 10:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LateJunction

When I last asked, you said that VS didn't run under Wine, but that the test was a long time ago. I have just tried again, out of interest, (as it avoids the complexity of trying to get VirtualBox, VM or QEMU running). The configuration is MX Linux 23.2, based on Debian 12 with a 6.2 series kernel, Wine 8.0, Windows version 10.0.18362.2 SP0.0 and a version of VS downloaded yesterday. Installation completed with no issues. ON launch VS aborted with this error message:

Assert failed:
    ok
file g:\source\hpslib\v13_15\winutils.cpp, line 2920
  • (dump file generated)

VinylStudio V13.15

I have no way of knowing if this means 'don't bother trying this' or 'there might be a work-around'. This is not urgent, but if you can provide some guidance I would be grateful. I have no idea where the dump file went, under Wine.

"The British people love music; they just don't like the noise it makes"

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Thanks for this.  That's a really weird 'it should never happen' error.

Can you send me that dump file please?  It will tell me more.  You'll find it here:

Music
        VinylStudio_small.dmp

Also:

1.  Virtual Box isn't hard to get running and VS still runs on XP onwards, if you're looking for a lightweight Windows install.

2.  We have vague plans to do a Linux version, date / certainty unspecified.  I will keep you posted.

LateJunction

Hi,

That's a URL which is local to your machine so I can't access it.  Could you therefore email it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Thanks (I should have said that before!)

LateJunction

This is my fault - I should have realised I was sending you a link which you couldn't possibly access. Hopefully the file will arrive in your email shortly.

btw I did install VirtualBox on an MX Linux machine. The only issue I had was in trying to install guest additions and extensions which, impressively, MX Linux did automatically. VinylStudio installed and ran without problem in a 4 GB virtual machine.

Hi,

No worries.  Thanks for sending the file - I did get it.  Unfortunately, it is an old one and is not related to the crash you're getting with V13.1.5.

I'd go with Virtual Box - certainly for now.  Maybe at some point I'll spin VinylStudio up under WINE on my Mac to see if I can delve into this more deeply.  In the meantime, you might well have a better solution anyway - I'm not sure how solid a platform WINE actually is.

-----

Heh, turns out I lied.  I was looking at the wrong dump file.  The file you sent *is* valid, looks like a bug in WINE.  I'm disinclined to investigate, sorry.

LateJunction

Understood, bearing in mind VS seems to run OK under VirtualBox - the only issue I have there is in being unable to find any way to update my guest OS, which I have chosen as Win7. I could not face all the bloatware and ad-crap of Win10, let alone the additional resource requirement.

OK, thanks, I would agree that Windows 7 is a suitable choice.  But why would you (ever) want to upgrade it?