News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Equalisation questions

Started by fca, December 19, 2023, 08:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fca

I find similar questions answered in the forum but not sure how this applies to my situation. I'm recording to my Mac (USB-C jack) from a Technics SL-BD20 turntable (old but works and sounds good) with an AT85EP cartridge, going through an ART Project Series USB Phono Plus (filter set to flat). For now I'm focusing on recordings issued post 1954... I'll get to the earlier stuff later. I'm confused as to what settings to use in the "Recording Equalization" section of the "Check Level" window in VS.

Should I even check the Enable Equalization box?

If so, what are the appropriate choices for the various options that then become available?

If not, what do I do about the several albums I've recorded so far with Enable Equalization checked (using the default settings for *RIAA that appear when that box is checked)? Should I re-record them (I've already given one to my son) or is there a way to reverse those choices post recording?

For what it's worth I've noticed the recordings I've done so far sound overly bass-y when played back, as well as at insufficient volume that can't be adequately corrected with the Normalization feature. I've fiddled with the equalizer in the Cleanup Audio window and can improve things but if this is how I need to reverse the effects of my poor choices would there be standard settings for the sliders to do so?

Thanks for your help!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

There a few questions to address here, so let's take them one by one.

> Should I even check the Enable Equalization box?

No.  Your ART already does that.

> What do I do about the several albums I've recorded so far with Enable Equalization checked. Should I re-record them or is there a way to reverse those choices post recording?

Yes, there is a way.  Re-recording would be better, but the 'Equalisation curves' dialog in the Cleanup Audio window can do this.  You want 'Inverse RIAA'.  Then normalise again.

> For what it's worth I've noticed the recordings I've done so far sound overly bass-y when played back...

Yes, they would.  You've applied RIAA equalisation twice.  And if you fix that (and normalise), then the volume should sound OK.

> I'll get to the earlier stuff later

Wise, please feel to ask another question when the time comes.