News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Missing WFO and WFS files from VS files directory

Started by bill524, September 04, 2023, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill524

Between restoring my collection to a new hard drive and routine backups I've screwed up the file directories. I've noticed when I look at the directories in Windows 10 File Explorer, some of the albums have the WAV and CRD files in the My Albums directory but no corresponding WFO or WFS files in the vsfiles directory so they don't show up on the Album list. Because Vinyl Studio doesn't see it, there' no way to open the file from the album tab. I've tried treating it like importing a wav file from another program, but I have to redo setting the tracks, etc. and I'm not sure this doesn't create more files and future problems. Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Those files being missing shouldn't prevent you from selecting the album from the dropdown, but the waveform display might be blank.

If so, right-click anywhere in the waveform display area and select 'Regenerate Waveform Display'.  VinylStudio will then take care of the rest.

bill524

Hi,
Turns out I also messed up the files music collection folder (myalbums.mcf). The original WAV and CRD files are still in the My Albums directory. If I have to use the import sound file function to restore the mcf files, looks like I have to do it one album at a time and use the link to files option. If so, do I leave the import track names and derive track names boxes checked?
Thanks!

Hi,

Are those files your 'raw' recorded albums (or album sides) or are they your saved tracks please (one file per track)?  The procedure would vary, depending on the answer.

Also, do you still have your original .mcf file.  Good news (probably) if so.

bill524

Thanks for the reply,

The WAV files are the raw recordings in the My Albums that's in the documents section on Windows 10.  When I did the saved tracks, I saved them as MP3 files that are in the My Albums directory in the Music section. I was trying to back up as I went along so I might have messed up the mcf files in the process, especially after the data was lost in one crash and then again when the new hard drive was put in.  I had to reload VS and then restore the files twice. I must have done the raw My Albums folder OK but didn't bring in the other directories correctly. I may have overwritten a newer directory with an older one. I goofed up about 30 albums and not looking forward to resetting the track breaks!

bill524

Forgot to add, none of the mcf files on the backups have the missing albums

Hi,

If all you have is the original WAV files then all you can do is import them and then redo the track splitting.  Hopefully, most of them will be in Discogs / Music Brainz (look for listings with track times) and then all you will have to do is tweak the track breaks (and maybe delete a few 'bonus tracks' at the end of the list).

You do indeed have to do this one album at a time I'm afraid, and I would uncheck the boxes you mentioned.

More haste less speed where backing up is concerned, I think.  As The Tourists once put it, Don't Say I Told You So.  Brilliant song.