News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Undo normalization?

Started by dvdr, June 07, 2023, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvdr

Hi
First of all: great software, kudos to the developers - it makes digitizing so much easier than working with ProTools... Bought the Pro-version right away!

My question: I usually record in 192/24 (RME UCX II) and leave some overhead to not get into digital clipping or inter sample clipping when converting to other formats.

What I have not figured out, yet: once having chosen a value for normalization in the batch window for one or more albums, there seems no way to export these albums without applying normalization. Only thing I seem to be able to do: choose a different normalization target level.

Is there any way to either undo normalization settings or at least have an option to export "without any level changes, as recorded"?

Thanks!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Thanks, glad you like the software.

You can save your albums with corrections disabled, but that would also disable (for example) the declicker.

So the best option is probably to do what you're already doing - i.e. normalise each time to the appropriate level for the intended use.  Normalisation doesn't take long, has a 'batch' mode, and is non-destructive (all it does is adjust the preamp sliders), so I hope having to do that is not too painful.

As an alternative, if you know you want to (say) crank the level up by 3dB, you can adjust the preamp sliders manually:
  - use the arrow keys to move the sliders in fixed increments of 0.1dB
  - hold down the Ctrl key to move the sliders in increments of 1dB
  - hold down the shift key to move both at the same time

Then save your tracks again.  But you'd have to do this for each album separately.  I think I'd just go the batch normalisation route and grab a quick cup of coffee while it churns away.