News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

V13 Autocomplete woes

Started by Steve Crook, April 14, 2023, 11:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Crook

On Windows 11.

A couple of examples:
  • Recording a new album and I want to type "Drama; Adaption; BBC Radio" and I get as far as typing "Drama; Ad" and the whole text in the box is selected so I lose it with the next thing I type.
  • In the Custom Tags dialog I want to type "2023-04-14" into the value field. I get as far as "2023-" and the text is changed to "2023 - " and a droplist is shown with a bunch of values that were typed into the value field at some point for other recordings.

Also, is there any way to switch off the dialog animations? <<<< Belay that, I found the option in the settings.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi Steve,

I can't reproduce #1 (I tried quite hard).  Does it always happen?

I can reproduce #2.  We'll look into it for the next release (which won't be long in coming!).

Have you come across any other examples while we're at it please?  Thx.

-----

PS: For #2, copy and paste into the value field for now.

Steve Crook

I've done a series of screen prints, perhaps it'll make easier to see the genre droplist contents and reproduce. I suspect you have to have the right things in the drop list...   

You cannot view this attachment.

I suspect you're right.  BRB

Hmmm, I'm still struggling.  Could you send me your .MCF file please?  The autocompletions are in there. 

Please send it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Thx.

Steve Crook

Back in the Custom Tags dialog it appears that hitting return in the value field can cause the value to be updated with " - ".

So typing Gar<return> gives me Gar - IF there's something in the droplist that matches what's been typed so far.

Or that's what it looks like. I'm guessing this will be the same for anything using this autocomplete mechanism???

Don't worry, we're in the process of sorting it out.  The existing code is a bit dumb, basically.  It wants to help you with things like [Album Artist] - [Album Title], but it goes too far.

Steve Crook

Something I just noticed, it's not possible to type any of !"& into a value field in the custom tags dialog.

Yep, we've fixed that in our working version here.  Sorry what you currently have is so buggy - not our finest hour.  One reason the new release isn't out yet is that we are testing it more thoroughly this time.

Steve Crook

Not a problem. In a former life I was a UI developer there's almost as much work in developing the code to manage test cases as there is in writing the code you're going to sell. And of course it's not unknown for the test cases to have bugs too...

Steve Crook

Ho hum. This is 13.1.3 on Windows 11, but I saw it in 12.* on Windows 11 but didn't realise what was going on.

Custom Tags dialog. Type into the Value area. If you completely type a value that exists in the history and press return the value you typed is blanked. If you type part and select it from the history and press return the value stays.

Or at least that's my impression...

Steve Crook

The time period to edit passed. I have this to add...

In the history there's "Jo Stafford; Gordon McRae" , I type "Jo Stafford" and hit return, it goes blank. I select the history value, delete "; Gordon McRae", press return, it blanks. Type "Jo Staffordy", press return it's saved. Then select and edit to remove the Y, press return, it blanks.

Of course I can just click away to save the value I want, so this is inconvenient, not fatal :)

Hi Steve,

OK, I can reproduce it, I'll take a look (this area of the code is very fiddly!).  In the meantime, if you tab away from the cell rather than pressing return then it works.

Update: This is now fixed in our working version here.  I won't make a release straightaway unless you're desperate (as I say, the fact that the TAB key works takes away most of the pain).  Thanks for reporting it.