News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Playback recording of echoes

Started by norcalcraig, April 13, 2023, 01:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norcalcraig

Downloaded the latest update and now my digital recording of a vinyl record now has an echo, help!  Keep in mind all other digital recordings are fine, but now any new recordings with the new update have an echo.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Is the problem connected to recording or playback please?  You can tell the difference by playing back an existing, known good recording in VinylStudio.  If it sounds OK then the problem is on the recording side.  If not, it isn't.

Also, what platform is this please (Windows / Mac)?  Thx.

PS: Screenshots of VinylStudio's Check Level and Change Playback Device dialog would also be useful.  Thx.

norcalcraig

k, figured it out.

From the Check Level submenu, the HOST was changed to MME/WAVE when the update happened on my system.  Changed it back to what it was before. 

OK, thanks.

Just to clarify, did you change the Host setting in the Check Level dialog or in the Change Playback Device dialog please?  Perhaps you could post the settings (or screenshots might be better) that you're now using for both.

My reason for asking is that I'd like to know whether the problem was on the recording or the playback side.  We may then tweak the defaults in the next release.  Thx.

norcalcraig

Yeah, I can't figure out the screenshop thing, LOL!

And yeah, I changed the HOST setting in the Check Level dialog from MME/WAVE TO WASAPI (polled)

The problem was on the recording side.

OK, thanks.  'Event driven' is better, if it works for you, and 'exclusive' gives VinylStudio control over the sample rate and bit depth used by the hardware, so it's worth experimenting.

Fred Dougherty

Thanks for this post.  I had a similar issue after updating to version 13. 
The default setting for record/check level/host was WASAPI exclusive (event-driven, recommended)
This setting did not run properly on Playback with a Windows 10 pro laptop.  After reading this post I tried the other host settings and they all worked fine.  What a relief since I am 2/3 through digitizing my extensive LP collection over 400 albums.  Maybe the upgrade default setting should be considered for change?  Also, I'm interested in what the other host setting provide with pros and cons benefits. Is there a reference in the user manual? 
You cannot view this attachment. Thanks   

Hi,

Thanks for this.  Yes, we will change the default in the next release, due out soon.

It's a bit annoying, because we wrote the code the way Microsoft tell you to and then certain sound cards / drivers don't work properly.  Sorry all for any hassle.

Fred Dougherty

Paul thank you for the reply.