News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Won't save large (6 LP's) file after recorded

Started by rom661, July 08, 2021, 03:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rom661

Apologies if this is on here.  I looked but don't see well.  I'm a long time user.  I recorded Eric Clapton's Crossroads 6 LP set at 24/192 AIFF for a customer.  No problems recording (wish I had done it at 24/96) but when I try to save the files it goes through all of them, reaches 100% and then my Mac Mini gets the dreaded spinning wheel and I have to shut it down manually.  Plenty of room on the SSD drives where the original files are and on the destination drive.

It seems like I remember a maximum file size setting from long ago but maybe not.... At any rate I can't spot it now.  I don't know that it's the issue but it is just this one exceedingly large file having the problem.  Never tried to down res something I already recorded but maybe that would be best.  Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

AIFF has a maximum file size of 4GB, although VinylStudio should flag this rather than hanging.  You might like to save as CAF or Apple Lossless.

Also, you can save at 24/96 if tat's what you want.  Just change the sample rate in the File Settings dialog, which you can reach from the confirmation dialog that is displayed when you save your tracks.

rom661

Thanks.  If  I may be pushy, do you happen to know if there's a way to convert the raw files to either ALAC or down res to 24/96?  Hate to sound lazy but ripping 12 sides again sounds downright painful.  I

No need to convert, you can just change the file type in the dropdown in the confirmation dialog that is displayed when you save your tracks.

rom661

Ah, easy.  I like to make things harder than that :-)  Thanks so much.  Thing is at 24/192 even ALAC will by way more than 4 gig.  I'm surprised I haven't encountered issues on any of the double LP's.  Would be nice to see it doubled.  Thanks again.

ALAC supports more than 4GB, and the limit on AIFF files size is imposed by the file format, not by VinylStudio.

rom661

Thanks.  Changed to ALAC and 96K but won't go.  This is an enormous amount of music, especially at any kind of high res, compressed or not.  I need to figure out how to break the working files into sections to save that way.  Vol 1, 2, whatever.  I regularly do double albums, some of which I would think are more than 4kb.  But this is quite excessive.

What problem are you having please?  That should work.  Also, are you splitting your recordings into tracks and then saving tose tracks, as described in the "Getting Started" section of the VinylStudio help file?

rom661

I'm doing it the way I've done it for about four or five years with the program.  I rip the album, separate into tracks, sometimes just LP sides on certain classical, then save.  I don't recall what Getting Started recommends.  This has worked well.  I do selective correction of ticks and pops since I find that even scanning at one is audible when you do the whole thing.  The problem is it acts like it's creating tracks, shows the progress on tracks and as overall percentage, gets to 100 and then locks up the computer - the dreaded Mac spinning wheel.  Have to cold start the Mac to shut it down.  Other rips have worked since.  Plenty of room on the SSD where I'm ripping and on the external drive I save to.

OK, thanks.  It could be hung up talking to iTunes / Music.  It's worth opening that when you have that spinning wheel to see if it has popped up a box asking you to do something.  If so, dismiss the box and things should unblock.

If it's not that, please send me an Activity Monitor log when VinylStudio is stalled.  To do this:

1.  Get VinylStudio into its frozen state.

2.  From the Finder menu, select Go -> Utilities.

3.  Launch Activity Monitor.

4.  When this opens, select VinylStudio in the list of running processes.

5.  Click on the 'gear wheel' icon in the Activity Monitor toolbar and select 'Sample Process'..

6.  When sampling completes, save the sample to a file and email me that file.

You can email the report here:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

I will then take a look and get back to you.

rom661

Thanks.  I will.  I do still have it writing to iTunes even though it no longer makes sense since (that was awkward) I use a dedicated music server now.  I'll try turning the iTunes off and see if it helps.  Otherwise will do as you suggested re: the log.

rom661

Got it!  I went back to AIFF, not that it was necessary, told it not to write to the music library and it went instantly.  Thank you.  I like Clapton but I don't need to listen to those 6 LP's again so soon.