News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording level - odd behaviour

Started by mshere, June 13, 2020, 07:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mshere

I am using a Fubar Mk 3 DAC into a newish laptop using Windows 10. I am using WASAPI, as I found it was the only setting in which I could get the recording bars to function. I have recorded some 40 vinyl albums with great results.
However the recording level has suddenly started behaving oddly. It sets its own limit on what it will accept! The max number at the top of the recording bars sets itself at a level which is usually 71, 79 or 89! and then the recording level bars won't go beyond that figure seeming to clip anything louder. When I change the slider it doesn't alter the effect, but sometimes just sets its clipping level lower. If I click the green reset icon, it will reset the max number but then when the music reaches the previous max level eg 79, it clips it there again.

Actually, I have been playing with it whilst typing this and have probably solved the issue myself, but probably worth sending in case anyone else has had the same problem.
The first thing I noticed that it had started happening because I had starting recording some 45rpm 12 inch singles. There is a higher output from these and the slider needed to be lowered to get the correct recording level. When I went back to 33 1/3 rpm the above problem went away. So I had the bright idea of turning down the recording level knob on the Fubar DAC, putting on a 45 rpm and problem solved!  Not intuitive, but the problem seemed to be causde by having too high an input level which wasn't beig handled by the VS slider recording level, although it was only at about 50 when I was trying to record the 45 rpms.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You need to click the 'Set Digital Gain to 1' button in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.  The recording indicators will then read correctly.

Don't move the slider after doing this.