News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Track Artist Character Limit Ver 10.0.2

Started by Steve Crook, February 10, 2019, 04:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Crook

I've been getting into the habit of putting track artist information into LPs and there appears to be a hard limit that the Edit Track dialog will accept (100 chars?) and on some albums (big band or jazz) there there are more than enough artists to blow the limit...

Any chance of raising the limit to 250 or thereabouts? I can see it might cause problems with the track display, but I'd be ok having them truncated to 100 chars on the track listing as long as I could input them in the first place....

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

The actual problem is the filename length limit on Windows, which is 260 characters.  That's why we limit each individual field to 100.

I suppose we could perhaps truncate to 100 characters when generating tracks.  I will put that on the list for consideration.

double6jg

I'd advocate a user selectable option for format of filename creation

Artist/Album/01-Track.flac (fixed format)
Artist/Album/Track-01.flac (fixed format)
Artist/Album/01-<track title>.flac
Artist/Album/<track title>.flac
Artist/<album>01-<track title>.flac
Artist/<album>-<track title>-01.flac

or similar

Obviously truncated as necessary.

VinylStudio already offers such an option - see the Settings / Preferences dialog.

Steve Crook

>  suppose we could perhaps truncate to 100 characters when generating tracks.

Isn't restricting the field width to 100 chars really doing that already, just that the truncation is happening at data entry rather than track generation...

Truncation would apply to the generated file name.  The tag inside the file could be longer.

Steve Crook

I meant that you'd just be moving the place at which truncation took place from the dialog to filename generation. That the 100 char limit on the dialog is, effectively, 'pre-truncating' so I don't see anything detrimental changing where the truncation takes place.

Hope that's clearer...

I think we are in agreement.  I will put it on the list.

Steve Crook