News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Inserting track(s) to existing recording

Started by Zaphod, July 24, 2010, 05:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphod

I accidentally bumped my turntable in the middle of a recording session. How can I insert the defective track with a good recording of that track without having to record the whole side again?

Thanks
Zaphod

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

You can't, unfortunately.  One thing VinylStudio lacks is a copy-and-paste facility.  You might like to take a look at a freeware audio editor called Audacity to carry out this task.  It is a useful thing to have in one's toolkit for things like this.  As I say, it's a free download and Google will find it in short order.  Make sure you shut VinylStudio down (or work on another album) while editing the file, otherwise you won't be able to save it.

Zaphod

Thanks for the reply. I've only done four albums so far, but am really satisfied with the results. It's an easy and fast way to convert my LPs and it has done an excellent job. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Fred

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

And, in my case, keep the cat away from the turntable :)

terrencem

I use a procedure for this problem that does not require any additional software.  You can re-record the bad track as a single, edit the .wav file as you normally would, and then save it as an mp3 file (assuming you eventually store your files as mp3 files).  Once you've saved it, go to the folder in which it's stored (probably a sub-folder of the singles folder) and right click on the file.  Click on Properties.  Make sure the information shown conforms to the information stored on the Properties page of the original (bad) track.  If not, edit the new file's properties as necessary.  Change the track number to match that of the original track by clicking on the Details tab and editing the # field.  Once you've edited the properties you can copy the new file into the folder in which the bad track resides, overwriting the bad file.  Or you can simply delete the bad file and just move the good one into the folder.  The same basic technique can also be used when downloading a replacement mp3 track from another source, such as Amazon or eMusic.  I've used this trick on a number of occasions and it seems to work acceptably.