News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

NAD PP3 noise: another one

Started by richard, May 17, 2010, 09:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard

Hello.

I have the high-pitched noise on my recordings via my new NAD PP3 pre-amp. I don't think I will be able to return the unit as I bought it on eBay and stupidly discarded the packaging, thinking it was working fine (which it is as an amp) before trying the USB recording.

I have a fully licensed copy of VinylStudio and would have thought I could take the noise out but don't seem to be able to. Do you have any advice?

Yours out of pocket,

Richard (UK)

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

I suggest you run a cable from the line-out sockets of the PP-3 to line-in on your sound card.  I recorded my own collectiion in a similar way and got very good results.  The cable you need is pictured here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/connecting_up.aspx

I really am sorry about this.  I wish there was more I could do.  VinylStudio's hiss filter will in fact take this noise out, but if the above approach works that would be my preference.

richard

I can't connect in the way you recommend as I am using a laptop.

Can you talk me through how to take out the noise using the hiss reduction? It doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried the help files and so on.

What, specifically, are you finding difficult?  The software does talk you through defining a noise sample, which is the only tricky bit.

richard

I do apologise. I just tried again and it took the noise out beautifully. I think I had selected too long a sample before.

Yes, make sure you just get the noise itself.  If you select a section where the needle is down but there is no music it will also take out any surface noise.

andyalls

Hi, I too have the NAD PP3 pre-amp and happened upon this thread today as I wondered what to do about the same high pitched noise. Thank you for the advice.

There is the not-so-minor issue that to use VinylStudio's audio cleanup tools for real, you need to buy a license.  VinylStudio Lite (which is what is supplied with the PP-3) only lets you use these on a trial basis.  Please contact us through our website if you have concerns about this.  Under the circumstances, we are prepared to offer a discount:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/contact_us.aspx

andyalls

I bought the licence very quickly after buying the pre-amp. On an unrelated topic, will we be able to rip the vinyl to flac in the future?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, coming soon, initially as a beta-test version.  I'll post back here when it's ready and if you want to participate in the beta-test you can let me know.

Hi,

This is just a note to say that a beta-test version of VinylStudio that includes support for FLAC files is now available.  Please contact us via the main website if you would like a copy:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/contact_us.aspx