News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Exporting to Flac format

Started by fruelund, October 20, 2009, 08:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fruelund

Hi I would like to export to flac instead of wav to make the recordings in the same format as I uses on my squeezebox - will it be possible within a reasonable time ?  Best regards

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Yes (depending on your definition of reasonable!).  It's next on the list after we complete our Macintosh support.

The way that VinylStudio works means that you will be able to (re-) save all your split-up tracks in FLAC format with a few mouseclicks when the facility becomes available, provided that you keep your 'raw' recordings on your PC.  So get digitising!

fruelund

Hi Thank's for a fast reply :-). By raw formay - does you mean i wav format uncompressed ? - then it sounds very nice with the new feature in mind. Is reasonable time within the next 6 months?

Best regards

By 'raw' recordings' we mean your audio files as recorded on disk, before any track-splitting or audio cleanup.  This is normally WAV format, but lossless FLAC will be an attractive alternative once we make it available as it can save about 35% on disk space without losing any quality.

After defining track breaks, declicking etc, you then ask VinylStudio to generate your split-up tracks.  You can choose to save them in whatever format you choose, irrespective of the format you recorded to.  This is currently limited to WAV and MP3, but, again, FLAC will be offered as an option as soon as we can.

How long?  Well, less than 6 months certainly, unless something unforeseen happens.  What you could perhaps do in the interim is save your split-up tracks in MP3 format.  VinylStudio offers high-quality VBR encoding which gives excellent results.  Then, when FLAC comes along, you can save your tracks again (it just takes a couple of mouse clicks) and download the new versions into your player.

Dubinvero

Paul,

I am currently ripping my CD collection to FLAC. When this project is finished I would like to start on my LP collection. I am very impressed with Vinyl Studio which does the work of a number of different programs.

Do I understand correctly that If I digitize my LP's now that I should defer splitting into tracks. Later Vinyl Studio will be able to rip directly to FLAC. Will it also do a batch conversion to FLAC of my saved unedited WAV files? Will I be able to choose the amount of compression?

Thanks for a great program. Good luck with the FLAC development.

Derek

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in replying to this - the forum did not notify me of your post.  Yes, VinylStudio will be able to rip to FLAC and yes we will probably provide a batch conversion tool too.  I think people will want that.

We will get weaving on FLAC support as soon as we can.  We have been promising it for quite a while, but support for the Mac (now pretty much complete) sowaked up a lot of our time.

This is just a note to say that Flac support, along with a bunch of other file formats, is now available (as of VinylStudio V7.5).