News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

automation?

Started by LtMandella, February 22, 2023, 03:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LtMandella

Does vinylstudio on windoz support a CLI or any other interface for automation?
I am digitizing 500+ LPs and I would like to automate/script the declick processing.
My current workflow is:

1:digitize LP using Sony PCM-10 (not connected to computer)
2:copy files to windoz machine
3:import files into VinylStudio
4:declick
5:save corrected file with changes to external file

Obviously #1 and #2 can't be automated but the rest could be if VS exposed an API?

thanks,

p.s. Great product! 

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response but no notification came through to me for some reason.

There is not (yet) any automation capability, but VinylStudio Pro does offer a number of batch processing options, so once you've imported all your files you can declick them all in one go, and then save all your tracks in one go.

That leaves the issue of getting the track names and track splits in there.  This isn't automated either (how could it be?), but the online databases that VinylStudio supports are a big help, and the latest Beta has a nice new 'Adjust Track Breaks' feature to then align these precisely with the gaps in the music.

You can get the Beta here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0

All feedback welcome.

LtMandella

declicking of a group of files already imported can work for me. I will give that a go.

I realize that my workflow may not be the most common but if you do ever get aroundtuit :), since I transcribe the LPs with a seperate device not connected to windoz, it would be nice if the import could also work from a multiselect of files.

p.s.
Keep up the good work!  I have a feeling as LPs become more and more in fashion you should have a good market for the next decade or so!

LtMandella

regarding: getting the track names and track splits in there.  This isn't automated either (how could it be?)

by the way, I just had a "thinking out of the box" (as we used to say in the systems programming domain) crazy idea.

The cloud!  Specifically, an online VinylStudio database of LPs that have been split into tracks already by other users.  Not so far off from the concept of an online database of CD rips that allows folks to compare there rips for accuracy?

If you implement it and patent it, I want free VinylStudio upgrades for life :)

> It would be nice if the import could also work from a multiselect of files.

It can and it can't.  You can import several files in one go (if you have VinylStudio Pro), but you have to do it one album at a time, if you see what I mean.  Point being that an album might be made up of several files, typically one per side.

Something that I can see might be useful though would be some kind of 'script', created as a text file, containing a list of files to import plus a few other pertinent details.  You could then tell VinylStudio to churn through it and you would end up with however many newly created albums, ready to work on.

It might also be worth mentioning that VinylStudio (Pro) can import CUE sheets.  It can import pretty much any number in one go, creating an album for each one (typically) along the way, but it doesn't sound like you have such files to hand.

> An online VinylStudio database of LPs that have been split into tracks already by other users.

That's a very interesting idea.  I don't see how sharing metadata would infringe anyone's copyright, do you?  I mean, various sites already do it, so...

> I have a feeling as LPs become more and more in fashion...

🤞:)

LtMandella

My workflow is to use a KORG MR-1 or Sony DCM-10 for transcribing to either DSD or PCM.  After I have transcribed a number of LPs I will connect the recording device to the PC and copy over all the folders containing the LP transcriptions.

I confess I do not track split myself, just too tedious filling in the metadata.  So I have a  selfish interest in making use of an online track split DB in the cloud :)

Hard to believe there would be any copyright problem.  As you say, all the metadata is already available in numerous sites online, just not organized in a way that could support metadata for VS.

Well anyway the cloud idea should keep you busy for the next year or two in case you were looking for something to do :)

As for myself, I am retired now so just creating some powershell occasionally for fun on windoz...

Yes, that sort of workflow is not uncommon and I can see that some form of 'batch import' would be useful.  I'll mull it over.

As for online databases, VinylStudio already supports two and I'm surprised you haven't tried them.  I mulled your suggestion over and don't actually see how we could improve on what we already do.  The online databases we support (Discogs and Music Brainz) have excellent coverage and work very well.  And the new 'Adjust Track Breaks' feature usually tweaks the track breaks up nicely so there is very little manual work to do.

LtMandella

[[the new 'Adjust Track Breaks' feature usually tweaks the track breaks up nicely so there is very little manual work to do.]]

Probably I gave up too soon, although I don't really care too much about track breaks.  I listen to an album start to finish always.

[[some form of 'batch import' would be useful.  I'll mull it over.]]

Cool!  And I will continue to try to think of more work for you to do :)

best,
LT