News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

File Locations

Started by dtc, November 07, 2014, 10:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtc

I am importing dsd files into VS in order to do track breaks and cleanup before I save individual tracks. How can I figure out the original file location of the Album? I know most of them, but for some, over time, I cannot remember where the original files was. I do not move the files into a VS folder. They are in my own folders. Second, how can I change the location of a file that I have imported. I have a couple that really belong in a different folder, but if I just move them it breaks the link to the VS album. I did find the Rename File by right clicking on the album name in Cleanup Audio, but that does not show the path name  and I am not sure I can rename using a different path name. I do not want to just move them and re-import because that looses the work I did on track breaks and cleanup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Is it the original location of the imported file you want to see?  If so, right-click on the file name in the Cleanup Audio window and select 'Browse File in Explorer' (Windows) or 'Show in Finder' (Macintosh).

You can't move the file to another folder without breaking the link, sorry.

dtc

Wow you are quick :). That works. It would be nice to be able to move the file. Perhaps that can be added to the wish list.

Thanks.

dtc

I have moved some of the original music files to new locations and would like to fix the link to them in VS.  Can I just use notepad to edit the  path in the mcf file to point to a different directory? I would also move the vs directory and the crd file. This would be a one time change, for some of my early efforts that I did before I figured out a good file structure to use. Obviously if I do this, backups will be done first.

Hi,

Yes, that should work.  I'd back up the original .mcf file first, just in case.

You can just delete the relevant files in the vsfiles folder if you like.  VinylStudio can regenerate those.  But not the .crd ('click repair data') file.  As you say, you should move that across.

dtc

dtc

OK - one more. Can I delete an empty collection? I suppose I could delete the mcf file and the directory, but not sure if that is enough. I think they will still show in recent collections. Deleting these will finish my clean up.

Hi,

You can delete the .mcf file and directory, but the only way to get rid of entries in 'recent collections' is to clear the list, an issue that we should probably address.

dtc

How do I clear the list? Can I just clear it and then open each of my collections to repopulate Recent Collections?

Ah, you can't clear it in Windows, sorry, it's a Mac thing.  We'll look into offering to remove a stale entry when you try to select it.

dtc

Thanks. Not a big issue. Thanks for your quick response. I'm up to about 60 albums since I started in earnest a month ago:)