News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Setting USB input Gain

Started by James SW, January 13, 2009, 11:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James SW

Hi Just downloaded vinylstudio & all going well with the exception of controlling the input gain on the USB(via the control panel) , I can adjust it to a level that stops clipping but the apply button is in-active, so when I then close the check levels window to start recording the level defaults back to 100%.Any ideas  on how I activate the apply button?
Many thanks
James

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but setting the level slider in the Control panel achieves absolutely nothing, sad to say.  The signal is still being clipped *inside* your USB device, even if you can't see it.  For more details, plese refer to this topic:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18

If you can attenuate the signal going into the USB device that is the best solution.  I personally record through the sound card built into the PC (I have a Sound Blaster Extigy 24).  These generally have a 'proper' level control.

James SW

oh well :-\ I haven't got the money for a new sound card so would i be better using the analogue input on my p.c.?

Yes, I think you would.  Anything is better than clipping, really.  I actually recorded my own collection through the sound card built into my PC and it sounds fine.  Record something quiet and listen on headphones, see if there's any background noise from the components inside the PC.  That's the only likely problem.

I really am sorry.  This problem bites a lot of people.  What USB device have you got, as a matter of interest?

James SW

I have an ion turntable that has Line level outputs on it so i`ll give that a go.
Many Thanks for all your help

No manual control on the back of the unit then?  It looks like they have removed that in the later models :(  Anything to save a dollar...