News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

left-right channel differences

Started by mowens, January 11, 2009, 10:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mowens

Hello,
I received an NAD PP-3 for Christmas to replace my PP-2.  I have receorded approximately 20 albums to date (a combination of classic 70's rock and classical music).  The last 5 albums have shown a distinct difference in amplitude levels between the left and right channels (upper and lower waveforms) when in the Cleanup Audio section (musical genre doesn not matter).  Screenshots of nearly equal and unequal amplitudes can be seen here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mowens61/StereoChannelDifferencesInVinylStudio?feat=directlink

Connections to and from the preamplifier are tight.  Bad preamp, bad turntable/cartridge, bad USB A/B cable, something else? 
Thanks,
-Mike

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi Mike,

Good question.  You could try swapping over the leads from the turntable to the preamp. If the 'weak' channel switches over you know that the problem is upstream of the PP-3.  You could also try giving the MM/MC switch a wiggle - that might cure it.  Failing that, my best guess would be a faulty preamp.  Once the signal has left the PP-3 it is digital and cannot be attenuated in this way, but you could try making a recording in Windows Sound Recorder, just to be certain that it's not a problem with VinylStudio itself (although I'm sure it isn't).  You will find this in Start Menu - Programs - Accessories - Entertainment.  You could also try another USB cable and / or port, but again I don't believe this is likely to be the cause. I assume you have tried rebooting - always a good bet :)

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.  I'd be interested to know the cause, when you do get to the bottom of it.