News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Is "manual" operation possible?

Started by hesson11, February 05, 2013, 06:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hesson11

Hi! I'm just getting up to speed with VinylStudio, and I'm not sure I'm grasping the automatic-start, automatic-end feature. My turntable is completely manual. So is it possible to "manually" start recording, then lower the needle, then pause recording to change record sides, then resume recording for the second side, then clicking on "stop" to end the recording process? If so, does this create any problems later in the process? Thank you.

-Bob

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Yes, you can do that.  Just uncheck 'Wait for needle down'.  Recording won't then stop automatically at the end of the album side - you will have to click either Stop or Pause - but unless your turntable has auto-stop you won't be able to use this feature anyway.

Depending on what file format you record to, you might be able to truncate your recordings to trim off any silence at then end when recording is complete.  This will save some disk space.  Formats for which this feature is supported are: WAV, AIFF, MP3 and FLAC so if you record to one of these formats record a separate file for each your album side rather than pausing and resuming the recording at the end of side 1.

To use the 'truncate file' feature,  go to the Cleanup Audio window, position the cursor at the point where you want to truncate the file and then select 'Truncate Recording at Cursor' from the Cleanup Audio menu.  There's no undo so make sure the cursor is positioned accurately.  There's no need to cut it too fine, you can tidy up when you do the track-splitting.

You can also set a maximum recording time which will prevent VinylStudio from recording too much 'dead air'.