News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

8.3.1 - no waveform display - waveform displays as a straight line

Started by krochat, December 22, 2012, 12:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krochat

I'm using 8.3.1 on Windows 7 32-bit that's up-to-date.

The waveform display is now consistently a straight line for album after album. This has come on somewhat gradually over the last 6 months. It used to be that I could restart VinylStudio or remove and reload the WAV file to get the waveform displayed, but for the last few weeks that hasn't worked. One thing that worked once was to convert a WAV file to FLAC and then it displayed, but it isn't consistent.

I tried reinstalling 8.3.1 with no luck. Are there any suggestions to try? Since nobody else is reporting problems I'm thinking I may have some other software that's interfering with it.

Thanks,
Kim

krochat

I'm using an M-Audio MicroTrack II digital recorder to create the WAV files.

I opened one of the WAV files in Adobe Audition 3 and saved it. I restarted VinylStudio and now the waveform
displayed correctly. I tried looking at other albums I recorded earlier today and now they display correctly too!
Even after a VinylStudio restart.

If I convert a "bad" WAV to FLAC I get the following warnings:
WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'bext' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep
WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'cue ' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep
WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'minf' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep
WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'elm1' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep

I recorded a short snippet on the Microtrack and loaded that WAV and got a straight line display. Weird.
I tried attaching the file to this post but it was too large and subsequent tries couldn't make a small-enough WAV to attach.

Anyway, I guess I have a work-around for now.

Kim

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Thanks for the update.  Could you record a WAV file of about 10 seconds duration on your  M-Audio and email it to me please at:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

I will then take a look.  Thanks.

Got it, thanks.  It loads alright for me.  What's the date on the original file.  I bet it's some time in the future, which would explain the flatline.  Can you set the date on your M-audio?

krochat

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on December 23, 2012, 02:02:25 AM
What's the date on the original file.  I bet it's some time in the future, which would explain the flatline.  Can you set the date on your M-audio?

You're absolutely right - the M-Audio was still set for Daylight Savings time, which is an hour ahead of the current time.

The time change was Nov 4th, which accounts for the recent appearance of the problem and also explains the erratic behavior I was seeing with a file not working and then working later.

But this sort of begs the question of why the file time should keep VinylStudio from loading the file - is this something you're planning to fix?

Many thanks,
Kim

Hi,

VinylStudio uses file times to determine whether or not it needs to regenerate the waveform display.  When it does so, the generated 'waveform' file has a file time of 'now'.  If the audio file date is (still) ahead of that, it then gets confused.  I will look into this to see if something can be done.