News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

RIAA Equalization in VS?

Started by ogs, December 06, 2012, 03:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ogs

This may have been discussed before, but a search does not show anything. Is built-in RIAA eq a feature considered for VS? I have noticed an increased interest in ripping vinyl on various web sites and RIAA correction is often mentioned as part of the ripping software.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

We've considered it but believe it is better to do RIAA equalisation upstream of the A2D converter.  The reason for this is that you lose dynamic range, particularly in the treble frequencies, if you do it digitally.

If we receive a lot of requests we will reconsider this, but so far we haven't.  Yours is the first.

ogs

If you record at 24bit I'd think there should be ample dynamic range to play with? RIAA in software will also be more accurate than most phono pre amps. Would this complicate the "play 33 at 45" feature in VS?

Yes, probably there's enough dynamic range.  The RIAA curve should be adjusted (somehow) when recording 33 at 45 and similar but that's true in any case.

ogs

Not much attention from others on this topic it seems. I guess you will not add the feature based on popular demand...
Hopefully you will still consider adding software based RIAA at some point  :)

Hello again,

A beta-test version of VinylStudio including software RIAA equalisation (and other curves) is now available.  Please contact me (anyone) if you'd like a copy:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Or post back here.

ogs

I'd be most interested! It will also be a good reason to set up my turntable again as it has been stored in it's box since before Christmas..

OK, here are links to the software (V8.5.0 Beta 1).  If other people use these, please let us know how you get on and please report any problems or crashes:

Windows: http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/VSInstall.exe
Mac: http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/VinylStudio-Installer.dmg

Thanks.

Edit, 18Mar13: links updated to the latest version (V8.5.0).

ogs

I spent some time before I found the RIAA filter. I'd expect to see part of the RIAA options (enable/disable RIAA at recording time) in the Record tab. Maybe also in Settings >Options where I would set the default behavior >when/if to apply RIAA. Could RIAA selection be separated from the filters section? I have not actually done a recording yet.... Hopefully during the weekend

Hi,

If you enable RIAA conversion in the Check Level dialog it will apply to all recordings until you turn it off again.  That should give you what you want, no need to (in fact, do not) turn it on in the Equalisation curves dialog.  That would be doing it twice.

It's in the Check Level dialog so that you can hear the effect of turning it on, while you are setting up for a recording.  If it was in the Record window you would not be able to do that.

ogs

Of course! I didn't open the 'Advanced' view in Check Level so it was hidden. 

Yes, it's a bit tucked away.  We'll add a bit of additional wording there.

matthew

Hi,
Just wondered if anybody has yet had time to compare recordings made with Vinyl Studio RIAA against a traditional phono stage?
I havent had time to try it out yet but will do!
Thanks,
Matthew

ogs

This may not directly answer your question, but 'Mitch' has just posted part two of his blog on ripping vinyl here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/503-guide-converting-analog-vinyl-digital-files-using-macintosh/ . Vinyl Studio is one of the three apps discussed and I believe you'll find the information interesting.