Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here:

Main Menu

Problem Transferring Album to iTunes

Started by Grumpsimus, June 14, 2011, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


I am a fairly new user of VinylStudio and have transferred aprox 50 LPs to iTunes without problems.

I have recorded one side of an LP as an Album, it has 8 songs and the total length around 26 minutes. Everything proceeds as normal in VinylStudio and you can play the whole Album from VinylStudio. However, only the last 3 songs get transferred across to iTunes, although VinylStudio claims have sent all 8 songs. I have tried deleting all the files for this Album from iTunes and VinylStudio and re-recording for the LP, but with exactly the same result, only the last 3 songs appear in iTunes. I even tried using a different name for the Album, still only the last 3 songs appear in iTunes.

This does not seem to make much sense to me. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Sounds like an iTunes thing.  Try adding the saved tracks to iTunes manually.


Yes I am thinking it must an iTunes problem. It happened after I installed iTunes 10.3.1, the main change is said to be syncing to iPhones.

It is a very odd fault. I tried another Album 14 tracks and this time, tracks 1,3,5 and 7 did not show in iTunes, but the other 10 did. A rather odd pattern.

I will try adding the Albums manually tomorrow and see what happens.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

OK, thanks for keeping me posted.  It is indeed very odd.  We have no other reports.


It is certainly a very odd problem. I tried transferring the the 14 track Album to iTunes again, with exactly the same result as before, only 10 tracks transferred. However, VinylStudio only recognised one of the tracks as already existing on iTunes.

I then manually transferred both the 14 and 8 track Albums to iTunes, all the tracks appeared in iTunes as normal.

As this problem only started with 10.3.1 and nothing else has change on my system, it is almost certainly an Apple problem. The 10.3.1 update appears to have been rushed out quickly, with no notes as to what has changed. I have reported the problem to Apple.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Thanks for the update.  Could you email me your mcf file please?  I'd like to take a look, just in case.  You will find the file here:

            <name of your collection>.mcf

Please email it to:

    p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

I also need to know the names of the two albums exhibiting the problem; I will then try to replicate it here (I have an older version of iTunes installed, currently).

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

I received your mcf file and I can see what the problem is.  You have several tracks with the same name, and VinylStudio takes the precaution of deleting any existing track from iTunes before adding the new one to prevent duplicates.

Anyway, the solution is simple enough: name the tracks (say) Allegro I, Allegro II etc and the problem will go away.


Many thanks for your very quick response. I did not realise that VinylStudio was deleting the tracks from iTunes before adding new ones.

Once you know what the problem is, it is easy enough to prevent it by slightly altering one of the duplicate track names.

Thanks again.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)