News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Access to the data in the Cleanup Audio/Corrections pane.

Started by Steve Crook, May 12, 2023, 04:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Crook

Just out of idle curiosity I wanted to try a cluster plot of clicks/click duration against recording time, but found I couldn't select the content of the window to copy paste it. It's in one of the files associated with the recording, but they're binary format.

Is it around somewhere in one of the recording files where I can cut and paste it?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi Steve,

You can't do it in VinylStudio.  I don't mind sharing the format of the .crd files containing your click repairs, if that's of any interest.

Steve Crook

Thanks for the offer. It would scratch an itch, I can promise it won't go further than me, though I don't know exactly when I'll get around to using it.

OK, I'll do it when I can.  I'm focussed on getting V13.1 out, currently.

Structure of a VinylStudio Click Repair Data (.crd) file.  It's no secret, but good luck processing it.  All multi-byte values are least significant byte first.

Bytes 0-3: 'CRDF'
Bytes 4-7: file version (= 2)

Then, for each repair in the left-hand channel:
    Bytes 0-1: Repair type (see below)
    Bytes 2-3: Blend size
    Bytes 4-7: start time (samples)
    Bytes 8-11: end time (samples)
    Bytes 12-13: unused

The following n bytes are the actual samples comprising the click repair,
    where n = (end time - start-time) * 2

The end of the list of repairs is flagged by two zero bytes.  The repairs for the right-hand channel then follow.

If the file version is 3, start and end time are 8-byte values rather than 4-byte.  This keeps file sizes down for most recordings.  Other than that, the structure is the same.

Repair types:
  • 1 = manual repair
  • 2 = automatic repair
  • 3 = patch
  • 11 = brass protection
  • 12 = percussion protection

Brass and percussion protection entries have no samples (so n above = 0).