News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Ecoding to AAC and Import old records

Started by wpopp43, April 20, 2022, 07:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpopp43

Hello,

i used the trial to test all, and the workflow is very fast with VinylStudio, so I am happy to import my vinyl now....

but I have 2 smaller problems:

1. Import Files
I have already recorded my LP 10 years ago. I have the songs in single files for every track. When I import them aand combine them to 1 big file in Vinyl Studio, the track names are extracted from the filenames. Sadly this works not with every naming. Best naming of the files ist "## title.flac", the only thing is: The title has a leading space. I wanted to ask if you can trim the title, it is not perfect when it is " title" :)
Or perhaps you have another naming, that works better?

2. Import Files
When I import all files to 1 flac, then the Tracks are set perfectly. every file is in the big file a track.
When I import the files for side A and B (or record 1/2), then sometimes the last track of side A and the fist track of side B are combined, the trackborders are not set correctly, but I dont see a rule for that.

3. Saving as AAC
I have all my audio files in AAC (MP4). Normaly I use VBR (91 or 100) that give 192 / 230 KBit files. When I use this options in VS, the resultings files are 130-145 KBit. Only when when I go to max. ~130 the bitrate raises very much 230-350 KBit - with OGG the given Options seem to work fine.
Meanwhile I think about export to flac and then using dBpoweramp to encode to aac afterwards, but this seems to be uneccesary - a additionally step...

All this points can be solved by myself with some addionaly work. But perhaps you can foresee this topics for future builds - for others..

Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi Wolfgang,

Re 1: That sounds feasible, can you please provide the full name of a couple of representative files so that I know exactly what you mean.

Re 2: Please send a screenshot of the resulting track breaks.  We don't know of any problems with this, but it sounds like you've found one.  A screenshot of the import options you are using (as shown just before you kick ff the import itself) would also be useful.

Re 3: OK, I'll take a look, and if I need more information I'll get back to you.  We didn't write the AAC encoder ourselves so I don't actually know that much about the compression levels it generates.

Many thanks.

wpopp43

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late answer, i had some problems in the last days and other things were more important. Sorry,

Re 1: a List of Names i have justes used:
01 My Baby.flac
02 When I Change My Life.flac
03 Light Of The Moon.flac
04 Dance!.flac
05 Tradition Of Love.flac
06 Don't Get Me Wrong.flac
07 I Remember You.flac
08 How Much Did You Get For Your Soul.flac
09 Chill Factor.flac
10 Hymn To Her.flac
11 Room Full Of Mirrors.flac

after import the title liste in the mcf looks like this:
"01" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " My Baby" "4:09.29576" "0:00.00000"
"02" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " When I Change My Life" "3:39.96025"
"03" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " Light Of The Moon" "3:59.04549" "7:
"04" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " Dance!" "4:46.43249" "11:48.30150
"05" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " Tradition Of Love" "5:24.63025" "16
"06" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " Don't Get Me Wrong" "3:48.34193"
"07" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " I Remember You" "2:38.75048" "25:47
"08" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " How Much Did You Get For Your Soul"
"09" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " Chill Factor" "3:28.06991" "32:15
"10" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " Hymn To Her" "4:57.75637" "35:43.84
"11" "Pretenders, The" "Get Close" "1986" " Room Full Of Mirrors" "4:37.13571"

Re 2: Import files
I just tested with this files, Side 1 = 4 tracks 1-4, Side 2=Tracks 5-8
See attached "Import files options.jpg"

and the resulting tracklist is then on then on the attached "Import files result.jpg"

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for this.  I'll see what we can about getting rid of those leading spaces (doesn't sound hard).

As for the track breaks winding up in the wrong place, that's most likely caused by importing side 1 and side 2 separately - I don't think VinylStudio will handle that properly.  Can you import all the files for the album in one go until we can look into it?  That should work.

wpopp43

Yes at the moment I do that this way - all tracks of a record in 1 file is okay, and works very well...  :)

But i have the same problem when I have double/tripple lp's, here the same issue happens.
tracks of 2/3 lp's in 1 file is a little too much/too big.

At the end I can live with the small amount of double LP - I can handle and correkt the tracklist
But If you should work on this part in future, you could have a look at this issue, for future customers or in my case future projects....

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're driving at here.  Please could you, once again, post the relevant screenshot(s).  Thanks.

wpopp43

I am sorry I didnt see your answer and May was not the best month for me...

Forget my post. I only wanted to mention, that the same problem exist when I have more than 1 LP to import per album. For example Frank Zappa's Joes Garage wir 3 disks - that ist too big to handle within 1 file.

But as i said - I can handle it, no problem. And additionaly: I have already importeted all files meanwhile. :)
Dont worry, I am fine

OK, thanks.  I'll take another look at what VinylStudio actually does when you import more than one album side one at a time (I believe that's what you must be doing here) and see if I can improve its behaviour.

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm just coming back to this with a view to tying down exactly what the issue is.  Do you still remember your workflow when you imported that album?  If so, could you share it please?  Thx.

wpopp43

Sorry again for the long delay, but I dont get notifications on answers, dont know why.

The Import is not that complicate. I just mark all tracks of 1 side (Sound files in Flac) and import them.
Then I create a Side 2 by Importing all tracks for that side 2. Now I have 2 big Flac files - as If I had recorded both sides.
When I open the Split tracks, then sometimes this two tracks are not splitted correctly: Last track Side 1, first frack Side 2. I posted a picture in the thread.
I have to delete both track markers and insert them manually. Afterwards I have to order the track names / rename the tracks

As I have written, I was able to Import to single files (1 File for all tracks of the lp)

OK, thanks for this.  I think we might now have fixed this in our working version here, so when the next Beta comes out I will let you know and you can try it.

In the meantime, if you can find a way to import all the tracks on one go (perhaps by making a temporary copy in a working folder) then it should work better with the software you already have.

sanitaro25

Hello again,

This is just to let you know that this has been attended to in the latest VinylStudio Beta (V13.0.0 Beta 1).  You can get that here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0

If you encounter any problems, please let us know.  All feedback welcome.  Sorry it took a while.