News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Track markers appear and disappear with position of the play cursor.

Started by Steve Crook, November 12, 2021, 03:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Crook

VS 12.02 Beta 2 on Windows 10.

A set of recordings I made with an earlier version of VS (May 2020 IIRC) but don't remember which. Opened the collection and went to one. Tracks are shown in the track list with timings. But there are no markers in the display. The recordings were made within a couple of days for four albums, there are 19 other recordings in the collection and none of them have this problem.

Moving the mouse cursor over where the markers would be changes the cursors shape as you'd expect, but no track marker is visible.
Clicking on one particular track in the list causes all the markers to be displayed.
Clicking on a different track in the list causes them to vanish.
Drag selecting to the left of the play cursor makes the tracks appear, though if VS loses focus the tracks disappear when focus returns.

Tried stopping and restarting VS, rebuilding the waveform and switch to another collection and back. No change.

Screenshots uploaded to the Dropbox share you invited me to. No Tracks is what it looks like, All Tracks what it looks like when that particular track is selected, No Tracks again after selecting another track.

If you want it, I can upload the CRD and recordings. LMK.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for reporting this.

Yes, please do.  I will also need your .mcf file.

So is it just the one specific album that's affected?  If it were more general I think we would be inundated with complaints.

Steve Crook

Files have just uploaded. It's a single collection, all recordings were made during May/June/July 2020 and it's four Pink Floyd albums all the others (~29) are OK.

And I agree, it's certainly an outlier rather than something people would be tripping over day to day. Just utterly weird.

OK, thanks, I'll take a look.

I notice that you have no icons on your pushbuttons.  That might indicate something, not sure what.

Steve Crook

They're not there if you select "Use standard windows colours" in the 'Change Font And Background' dialog. Been using VS set that way almost since the first day...

Steve Crook

I decided to try a few things as I was planning on redoing the recordings anyway:

1. Replace the track listing by lookup. Tracks still didn't show
2. Record a new copy of the album. Then copy the new recordings into the old album. Tracks still didn't show
3. Record additional sides, then delete the first two sides. Tracks still didn't show.

From which I'm thinking it must be in the collection or CRD files.

Steve Crook

Ah ha!

Got to the bottom of it, or at least I know the cause, if not the why. It's those pesky fade in and fade out markers. If I go through the file and collapse them all the track breaks become visible.

OK, thank you Steve.  I'll take a look in the next few days.

Hi Steve,

I finally got around to looking at this and it turned out to be a compiler bug (Microsoft updated their compiler not too long ago and it looks like they introduced a problem).

Fortunately, we can work around this and will include a fix in the next Beta, due out soon.  I will post back here when that is released.  Thanks very much for all the trouble you went to to report it.  It made my job very easy.

Hello again,

VinylStudio V12.0.2 Beta 3 is now out and fixes this issue.  You can get it here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Steve Crook

Belated response to say that the problem was fixed in 12.5.2 and the beta before it.

Many thanks.

Steve

OK, cheers.

We have discovered a few bugs in V12.5.2 which are addressed in the latest Beta, so you might like to move on to that:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0