News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Splitting Tracks Revising and Resaving

Started by markg, August 15, 2021, 03:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markg

I recently completed splitting tracks for an album that had 10 songs.  Everything went well and worked as expected.  I ended up with 10 separate files in the proper folder.
I then went back to change the position of one of the track break markers between two songs and hit the save tracks button.  Upon its completion I only had 6 songs left in the folder.  Four of them disappeared and a of search of my hard drive did not yield any results.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

That's very odd, VinylStudio doesn't usually delete things like that.  Could you try checking the 'Always save tracks, even if saved before' box in the confirmation dialog that is displayed when you save your tracks please.  That should fix this.  Thanks.

markg

Hi,
I just tried it again making sure the always save box was checked.  I ran the scan for breaks routine, saved the tracks and everything worked fine.  I ended up with 10 separate files in my music folder and 10 new songs to my iTunes app.  Then I moved one of the track breaks and saved tracks again.  This time all the files were missing, both from iTunes and my music folder.  Although in my music folder the name of the album appeared but the file itself was empty.

OK.  Can you please post the contents of VinylStudio's Progress window after the save is complete?  There's a 'Copy' link in that window, you don't need to retype the information.

I will then take a look and get back to you.

markg

Hi, Thanks for looking into this.  Here are the messages after the first save that worked and after the second that seems to remove the files.  I can send screenshots of the Windows file screen before and after if that helps. (too big to attach here).

8 track(s) saved (0 already saved, 0 partially saved, 0 not saved).

You can review your results in the progress window before you close it.

Tracks were saved to folder:

C:\Users\markg\Music\MarksAlbums\Jackson Browne\The Pretender

Browse folder

8 track(s) saved (0 already saved, 0 partially saved, 0 not saved).

You can review your results in the progress window before you close it.

Tracks were saved to folder:

C:\Users\markg\Music\MarksAlbums\Jackson Browne\The Pretender

Browse folder

Hmmm, OK.  Do you have 'Delete tracks saved by VinylStudio after adding to iTunes' checked in the confirmation dialog that is displayed when you save your tracks?  If so, please try unchecking it.  VinylStudio might be deleting the tracks before iTunes has picked them up.

markg

Hi,
So I redid the track breaks on the album I was testing, saved the tracks again and I have my files back in Windows.  I did not try to modify the track breaks after that with this album.  I will try another album tomorrow.  I started this process because I wanted to know how precise I had to be when making individual track changes or if I could modify as I needed to.
I also made sure that both boxes relating to iTunes were not checked (deleting dupes and deleting files after adding to iTunes).
However, I must add that I no longer use iTunes although it is still on my laptop in case I need a forgotten song or two.  I think I should uncheck the box that says add saved tracks to iTunes.  I will do this on another album tomorrow.  Also, when I exit iTunes I noticed a message that some scripts were still running but I just blew through it since I rarely use it.  Perhaps the message was significant and relevant.
Many thanks for your help.  If I can recreate the original issue I will follow-up.

OK, thanks, please keep me posted.

That message is harmless - we're not sure what causes it as we do shut the connection to iTunes down when we are not using it.